Hi Bold Bakers!
Homemade Chocolates are a really nice gift to give around the Holidays. One chocolate you would often see gifted in Ireland during Christmas is a Ferrero Rocher. Why? Because they are fancy and are what gownups eat. I’m going to show you how you can make your own Ferrero Rocher that you can give as edible gifts, and there is no baking required!
If you haven’t had the pleasure of eating Ferrero Rocher before then let me paint you a picture – they have a crispy chocolate shell coated in toasted hazelnuts that surrounds a soft chocolate and hazelnut center. And smack bang in the middle is a whole toasted tasty hazelnut. I hope you like hazelnuts!
Fun fact, I was gifted Christmas Ferrero Rocher when I was in school for Valentine’s day. I knew they were from Christmas because they had holly on the package. Needless to say they were stale. Needless to say I still ate them. I’m no fool.
- 2 cup (300g/ 10oz) roasted hazelnuts
- ½ Cup (2 oz / 60g) cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (5oz/150g) maple syrup (agave or honey)
- 1 cup (6oz/180g) Chocolate, melted
- 1 cup (150g/5oz) roughly chopped hazelnuts (to garnish)
- Add the hazelnuts into a food processor (keep aside 40-45 hazelnuts for the center) and blend into a fine paste like consistency. It takes a 2-3 minutes.
- Add cocoa powder, vanilla extract, salt and maple syrup and blend until the ingredients start to stick together, just 20 seconds. You NEED the mix to be sticky and not dry. if it is not shapable then continue to blend.
- Roll into small balls, inserting a hazelnut into the center. Once they are all rolled, place in the fridge for an hour minimum to set them.
- Once set, dip each Ferrero Rocher in the melted chocolate. Let any excess chocolate dip off.
- Then toss them in the chopped hazelnuts and coat them all over. Place them on a tray lined with parchment.
- Store in the fridge until ready to enjoy. They will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.