Hi Bold Bakers!
I have been inspired by all of you to bake a full-size 3 Layer Cake Made in the Microwave. Yes, you heard me right! Microwave Baking, or what I call “Micro-baking” is my thing. As you all know I am no stranger to Microwave Mug Cakes, or Microwave Mug Meals. If you can eat it, I can make it in a mug in the microwave. From more mug cakes than you can imagine to microwave snacks like Microwave Potato Chips, I have never been afraid of using my microwave to the max. But this time is different! I’m making a full shebang, bells, whistles and all, full size, 3 Layer Cake Made in the Microwave!
I love creating recipes for the microwave. I know from listening to you, that not all of you out there have a full kitchen including an oven. And I know you sometimes want an amazing dessert fast.
So I decided to go extra Big and Bold this time and trade in my mug for full-sized Silicon Cake Molds. This means that after mixing up my Best Ever Funfetti Cake batter, I simply divided it between my 3 microwave safe cake pans, and set the timer to 2:30 minutes. Even I could not believe how perfectly baked these cakes came out after such a short time in the microwave. And of course, this is the perfect cake for my Best-Ever Buttercream Frosting recipe.
This means next time you want to make a cake for a special occasion, or just feel like you need that sweet slice, you can have one in minutes instead of hours. Honestly, you have to see this for yourself. Who wouldn’t want to go from zero to Funfetti in under 10 minutes? I can’t wait for all of you to give this microwave cake recipe a try!
Want to get crazy with more cakes in your microwave? Check out my Microwave Mug Cakes & Meals on my Gemma’s Mug Meals Collection page.
- 3 ⅓ cups (1lb 1oz/ 500g) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups (12oz/355g) sugar
- ½ cup (3oz/90g) light brown sugar
- 1 cup (8oz/240g) butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups (16oz/480g) Buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Buttercream Frosting
- ⅔ cup (3oz/90g) sprinkles
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, both sugars, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter in the microwave.
- In a separate jug, whisk the egg, buttermilk, and vanilla extract until combined.
- Stir in buttermilk mix into the dry ingredients, followed by the butter until no lumps remain. The batter will be thick.
- Lastly, stir in sprinkles, but do not overmix because the sprinkles will bleed their color.
- Divide the batter evenly between 3 silicon microwave safe cake tins.
- One at a time microwave each cake for 2 minutes and 30 seconds. Remove from the microwave and allow to cool before turning out. (this cook time is based on my microwave which is 1200Watts so your cook time may vary)
- Once cooled turn each cake out out and level the tops.
- Frost cooled cake: Start by frosting a thin ‘crumb layer’ with my Best Ever Buttercream Frosting recipe. Chill for 30 minutes to set the frosting. Once that layer is set apply a second layer of thicker frosting
- Decorate as desired with sprinkles. There may be leftover frosting depending how much you wish to use.
- Cover cake and store at room temperature for up to 7 days. Enjoy!
SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE
12 ImagesSubmit Your Photos
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.