My chef-tested, Best Ever Brownie recipe is everything you’d want: ooey-gooey, fudgy, and oh so delicious!
Hi Bold Bakers!
Now, I know the internet is full of “Best Ever” claims and “the ultimate” recipes but this really is be-all and end-all of fudge brownie recipes! My Best Ever Brownies recipe is chef-tested for over 15 years, and has been recreated and enjoyed by thousands of Bold Bakers just like you–just check out the photos submitted by the community further below. Follow my recipe and techniques and you’ll have your new go-to brownie recipe.
What Ingredients Do you Need for Homemade Brownies?
In my brownies recipe, I’m all about that crisp crackly top, ooey -gooey fudge-like center, studded with chunks of molten chocolate and that’s exactly what you’ll get here.! These Best Ever Brownies really live up to their name as they feature:
- High-quality unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted so you don’t have any lumps in your batter.
- Both white sugar and brown sugar.
- Flavorless oil, which makes these brownies moist and fudgy.
- Eggs, but you can always use my egg substitute chart for brownies.
- All purpose flour, but you can substitute gluten free all purpose flour or almond flour 1:1
- And more than a cup of rich bittersweet chocolate chunks (ideally a chocolate with 72% cocoa solids or more for a nice balance of bitter and sweet).
5 Pro Chefs secrets to the Perfect Brownies
- Brown sugar is a key ingredient in Brownies! it makes them moister, more flavor and makes for a more fudgy brownie. You can easily make your own Brown sugar at home.
- Use a good quality unsweetened cocoa powder for your brownies for thee ultimate decadent brownie. Please do not use hot chocolate powder
- Use bittersweet chocolate (70%) chunks! this will make your brownies extra rich.
- Season your Brownies!! Salt and Vanilla are key ingreidents in brownies adding extra flavor and dimension. Please don’t leave them out.
- Be careful not to over bake your brownies! You know when your brownies are perfectly cooked when they’re firm around the edges but they’re still soft to the touch in the middle. After baking, let your brownie relax at room temperature for best results. Factor in that they continue to set once they comes out of the oven.
- Watch the 5 Pro Chef Secrets video to see the tips in action!
Do Brownies Need A leavening Agent?
For the perfect fudgy Brownie, you will not need baking powder or baking soda. Leavening agents make for more of a cakey texture and these brownies are all fudge!
What makes brownies more chewy?
Using oil is a key factor but isn’t the only factor to a chewy brownie. Using dark brown sugar helps create that texture also. That and baking them for just the right amount of time will give you the result you are looking for.
Why do brownies have a flaky top?
Mixing in some white sugar to your recipe as well as brown can gives you the shiny, crinkly top.
If you love homemade brownies, and my Best Ever recipes, then you’ll have to try these recipes:
And be sure to follow me on Facebook for video recipes everyday!
My chef-tested, Best Ever Brownies recipe are everything you'd want in a homemade brownie: ooey-gooey, fudge-like, and oh so delicious!
- 1 cup (8oz/225g) butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (coconut or canola)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (6 1/4oz/184g) brown sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (8 1/4oz/244g) white sugar
- 4 large eggs , room temperature
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (5oz/142g) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (4oz/115g) good quality, unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups (9oz/255g) roughly chopped chocolate or large chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) then line a 7x11 inch baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
In a large bowl combine melted butter, oil and both sugars.
Add the eggs, vanilla and salt then whisk for about one minute until evenly combined and light in color.
Over the same bowl sift in the flour and cocoa powder. Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until JUST combined (do NOT over mix). Fold in half of the chocolate chunks.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan, then smooth the top. Generously top with the remaining chocolate chunks.
Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the centre of the brownies no longer jiggles and is JUST set to the touch.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature before removing from the baking tray and slicing into 16 brownies. Enjoy!
Watch the Recipe Video!
Store at room temperature for 3 days or freeze.
SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE
215 ImagesSubmit Your Photos
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.