Your #1 Online Baking Destination!

Egg Substitutes for baking: The BEST conversion chart for substituting Eggs in Vegan and Vegetarian Baking.

7 Best Egg Substitutes for Baking Recipes & How to Use Them

Save Recipe

My egg substitutes chart has all the information you could ever need for baking egg free treats!

Hi Bold Bakers!

Hands down, the most common request I get is “What can I use as egg substitutes for baking?” I get that question on a daily basis now, so much so that it made me rethink am I catering to this audience enough? I try to make my baking and recipes accessible to everyone but because there has been such a demand for vegetarian baking, egg substitutes for baking and egg free recipes that I want to give you the tools and information you need so you can bake happily without eggs and still get Big & Bold results. Plus, I even show you how and when to use them. Watch my new video below and get a FREE Downloadable Conversion Chart further below.

Many want to avoid eggs for a lot of reasons: health, culture/religion, dietary restrictions, etc. Although adding eggs makes for a different end product, it does not mean that we cannot do without it. There might be a change in taste and texture but for the most part the end result is still pretty similar. Here is a list which comes in handy for me while I am making such a recipe.

Egg Substitutes for Baking

How much egg substitute do I add to replace an egg?

1 egg is roughly 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons/60g/2oz) so you need to replace that volume in your recipe. Your egg substitute needs to equal the amount of egg you are leaving out.

Banana is a substitute for eggs in baking recipes Yogurt is a Substitute for Eggs in Baking Applesauce is a substitute for eggs in baking Tofu is a substitute for eggs in baking Flax is a substitute for eggs in bakingWater is a substitute for eggs in baking Sweetened Condensed Milk is a substitute for Eggs in baking Buttermilk is a good substitute for eggs in baking

Most commonly used egg substitutes for baking are:

Mashed Banana

Applesauce

Silken Tofu

Ground Flax Seed mixed with water

Yogurt (dairy free or regular)

Buttermilk

Sweetened Condensed Milk

[If you’re looking to substitute sugar in your recipes be sure to head over to my post on How to Substitute Sugar.]

How to substitute eggs in cakes How to substitute eggs in cupcakes

Egg Substitutes for Cakes and Cupcakes

Egg Substitutes for Brownies

For each whole egg used you can substitute it with one of the following:

1 tablespoon ground Flax Seed + 3 tablespoon water

½ a medium Banana, mashed

¼ cup (4 tablespoons) Apple sauce

¼ cup (4 tablespoons) Silken Tofu

¼ cups (4 tablespoons) Yogurt (vegan or regular)

¼ cup (4 tablespoons) Buttermilk

Flax Egg SubstituteFlax plus water is a good egg substitute

Notes about using Flax Seed as an egg substitute

1 tablespoon ground Flax Seed + 3 tablespoon water= 1 egg

Grind the Flax Seeds in a coffee grinder, and mix with water. Allow it to rest till it becomes gelatinous, then use.

Tofu as an egg substitute

Notes about using Silken Tofu as an egg substitute

1/4 cup blended Silken Tofu = 1 egg

Process in a blender until completely smooth and creamy, leaving no graininess or chunks. Now it is ready to use as an egg substitute in your recipes.

CLICK HERE FOR A FREE DOWNLOADABLE CHART

Egg Substitutes, egg substitute for baking, egg substitute for recipes, egg substitute, vegetarian baking, vegan baking, conversion chart, substitutes chart, egg substitute chart, egg free baking, egg free recipes, baking substitutes, vegetarian desserts,vegan desserts, vegetarian how to videos, how to recipes, basic baking tips, basic baking, condensed milk how to make at home, dairy free Recipes, Vegan baking, baking recipes, dessert, desserts recipes, desserts, easy desserts, quick easy desserts, best desserts, best ever desserts, simple desserts, simple recipes, recieps, baking recieps, how to make, how to bake, affordable recipes, Gemma Stafford, Bigger Bolder Baking, bold baking, bold bakers, bold recipes, bold desserts, desserts to make, quick recipes

Don’t Miss a New Recipe! Sign up for My FREE Weekly Email Newsletter.

Get more Bold Baking Basics!

Follow Bigger Bolder Baking on Pinterest for more baking ideas!

SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE

2 Images
Submit Your Photos
Mrinal Pawar
VaibhaviBajpai
mug_logo_150
Katherine Cowgill by Teren Oddo Oct. 2015

Meet Gemma

Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!

Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.

And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.

462 Comments

Write a Comment and Review

1. Hinal Shah on August 29, 2018 at 6:13 am

Hello Gemma
    When making brownies for one egg if I am taking substitute as yogurt than what measurement I have to take

• Gemma Stafford on August 30, 2018 at 3:25 am

Hi there,
      in the chart it tells you 4 tablespoons per egg substituted.
      If you use flax egg you can try some of that and some yogurt too. Use what you usually use for this type of recipe. If you are new to baking then I suggest you make 1/2 of the recipe, and test it.
      I hope this is of help,

2. trupti on August 27, 2018 at 2:07 am

hi gemma , m such big fan f yours . You r such fabulous an amazing baker.I recently discover my interest in baking n m really thank full to you that ur recipes n guidance encourage me n gave me right choice to make .love you… keep ur work on .

• Gemma Stafford on August 27, 2018 at 4:57 am

Hi Trupti,
      Thank you for your kind words. I am delighted you are baking with us. keep it up now, you will be an expert in no time!

3. loveforbaking_6 on August 24, 2018 at 11:55 am

In many tutorials for whipping cream, I’ve seen they beat egg whites… And I am a pure vegetarian.. So wanted to ask for a substitute for that purpose.. I’ve tried whipping dairy cream but it failed..

• Gemma Stafford on August 26, 2018 at 5:22 am

Hi there,
      I am not sure what you are looking for!
      Fresh dairy cream will whip up if it is at least 35% fat content. If you are vegetarian this will not be for you.
      The best alternative will be coconut cream.
      Egg substitutes are generally as listed here in the chart, but I am not sure how the egg white would sub for cream!

4. loveforbaking_6 on August 24, 2018 at 8:09 am

Heyy Gemma!! Please tell how to make whipped cream without using any eggs.. Have been trying to find out this for months.. Please help

• Gemma Stafford on August 24, 2018 at 9:01 am

Hi there,
      The cream which I use for most of my recipes is fresh dairy cream. This needs to be at least 35% fat content to whip well. This is from cows milk. It is a liquid product found in the chill cabinet in your store. It will spoil in a few days, even when refrigerated. It has no additives, it is just natural cream, skimmed from milk.
      In some places, where there is no dairy industry, there are manufactured products, usually made with milk powders and fats. These are good for some applications, but they are not fresh cream. I am sorry, it cannot be actually made!
      Is this what you need to know?

5. Vidyasri on August 23, 2018 at 10:25 am

I am a big fan of your receipies..very useful chart gemma..thanks a lot

• Gemma Stafford on August 24, 2018 at 8:47 am

Many thanks Vidyasri,

6. Vidyasri ganapathi on August 23, 2018 at 10:11 am

I am a big fan of your receipies…really very useful chart….

7. Ritika on August 21, 2018 at 9:28 am

useful chart

• Gemma Stafford on August 22, 2018 at 3:14 am

8. Seema Arora on August 14, 2018 at 3:07 am

when using condensed milk instead of egg can we reduce the quantity of sugar used for making the dough also can we use sugar according to my taste

• Gemma Stafford on August 14, 2018 at 4:40 am

Hi Seema,
      Yes, but it depends on the recipe. I think you will need to think about the purpose of the egg and the sugar in a recipe, but if the recipe already has a lot of sugar I think you can reduce it by one tablespoon for every tablespoon of condensed milk, perhaps more, but it depends on the recipe.
      Try it, and do let us know what you have found. This is particularly interesting for cookies, where the texture can be affected.

9. Medha on August 12, 2018 at 11:43 pm

Hi gemma
    I have 2 questions…
    Can I use flax seed as a egg substitute for making cake??
    And my other question is if I want to use buttermilk as a egg substitute and your cake receipe there is already buttermilk is used so in that case do I need to increase the amount of buttermilk?? Please reply

• Gemma Stafford on August 14, 2018 at 4:52 am

Hi there,
      If there is buttermilk in the recipe I would choose another substitute for the egg. If the egg is an important ingredient, then you will need to consider what you use carefully.
      All of these substitutes are just that, and they are recipe specific in many cases.
      fruit purees are great, applesauce/pureed banana for instance for sponge cakes.
      There is no general rule, cookies prefer flax egg, or condensed milk, but you may need to adjust the sugar when using condensed milk.
      Think about your recipe, what outcome you should have, and proceed,

10. Binali Ganguly on August 9, 2018 at 3:13 pm

Hello ma’am
    I am planing to try out this crazy cookies but just wanted to know can I replace eggs with condensed milk/milkmaid ??
    If I can how much condensed milk should I used for 2eggs??
    And can I really even replace brown sugar with just white sugar ??
    Please help me out I can’t wait to try those cookies..

• Gemma Stafford on August 10, 2018 at 2:21 am

Hi there,
      Actually I would not use condensed milk in this dough as it is also a sugar. That is not to say it could not be done, only that it will be over sweet. Here is the recipe as written, along with the adjustments you could make, so that this recipe works well for you. This will be an experiment for you, but I think it will work well, do let us know how it turns out, other Bold Bakers will be interested:
      1 cup (8oz/226g) butter, melted and cooled to room temperature – You can leave this as it is
      1¼ cup (10oz/280g) brown sugar – leave this as is
      ¾ cup (6oz/170g) white sugar – omit this, and substitute with 200g of condensed milk
      2½ cups (12 1/2oz/355g) all-purpose flour – leave as is
      1 teaspoon salt – ok as is
      1 teaspoon baking soda – ok as is
      2 large eggs –OMIT
      2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Now you can proceed, if the dough is not coming together well add a little more condensed milk. I think that will work well for you. This will be an experiment, but it will not be a fail, do try it!

11. pooja on August 8, 2018 at 1:01 pm

what can be used as a replacement of eggs in baked cheesecake?

• Gemma Stafford on August 8, 2018 at 4:36 pm

Unforuntaley baked cheesecake needs the egg to properly set. All of my no-bake cheesecake recipes don’t have egg, perhaps give one a try. They are super rich and delicious!

12. Chandni on August 8, 2018 at 9:10 am

Hi Gemma,

Can baking powder be used instead of egg? If yes then how much?

• Gemma Stafford on August 9, 2018 at 6:31 am

Hi there,
      It depends on the recipe. look at the chart, it will tell you which substitute to use for a particular recipe.
      Baking powder can be used as an egg replacement, but you will need to use it with a little water and perhaps oil, but really what matters is the recipe,

13. Vanitha on August 4, 2018 at 2:05 am

Very useful chart. U helps a lot. Thank u

• Gemma Stafford on August 4, 2018 at 2:14 am

That is great, thank you,

14. Portia wohler on July 31, 2018 at 5:13 am

Very informative…can flax seed gel be used as egg substitute.. please reply

• Gemma Stafford on August 1, 2018 at 11:01 am

Yes, you definitely can 🙂

15. Daiwik on July 26, 2018 at 6:44 am

Hi Gemma ,
    Can you give me the recipe to make eggless chocolate tarts

16. Sania on July 21, 2018 at 1:51 am

Hi there! Love you so much Gemma for the awesome info!! Just wanted to share this random observation of mine that flax meal takes quite some time to bloom when mixed with room temperature water(like hours!) But takes less than 10 mins when hot water is used.

• Gemma Stafford on July 21, 2018 at 1:46 pm

Really? I did not know that. That is a great tip. I hope others read that 🙂

Gemma.

17. Vipsa on July 17, 2018 at 12:19 am

Hey Gemma! I have an issue with the flax egg. Whenever I let the flax powder and water sit, it never turns like jelly. I have tried putting it aside for upto 30 minutes. I live in Delhi, India which is really hot during this time. Could it be the temperature that is affecting the solution and not letting it turn into jelly ? Also you are supposed to take plain ground flax seed, right???? Not roasted or anything like that?

• Gemma Stafford on July 17, 2018 at 4:07 am

Hi Vispa,
      Yes, plain flax seeds, which have been ground, to a meal rather than a flour. I cannot think why this is not working for you, that is strange. The temperature should not affect this, but try it with water from the fridge. Perhaps some other Bold Baker from a warm place can pitch in on this. It should bloom, it is the nature of it!

18. Mekhala on July 13, 2018 at 8:57 am

Hi Gamma,
    I am planning to bake an apple cake and it has both egg and buttermilk as ingredients. What can I sub the egg with? The recipe says that the cake is light and fluffy. Please help.

• Gemma Stafford on July 14, 2018 at 3:17 am

Hi there,
      (https://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/egg-substitutes-for-baking/). Here is the egg substitute chart.
      For a sponge type cake applesauce/flax egg/yogurt/curd will work well for you. Swap out the buttermilk for a little more strained/Greek yogurt if using this.
      I hope this works well for you,

19. Palaksarin on July 6, 2018 at 12:18 pm

Hi Gemma…
    really big fan of you n your recipes…
    There is request from u that please give me some recipes for cookies n cakes made from whole wheat flour…not all purpose flour…
    I m not allowed to eat all purpose flour…so can u please send me some of the recipes made from whole wheat flour…
    Me waiting for your reply

20. Portia wohler on July 2, 2018 at 11:37 am

These egg substitute work but they add a flavour like banana ,flax seed etc….
    Are you. There any substitutes which do not add any distinct flavour like eggs

• Gemma Stafford on July 3, 2018 at 12:55 am

Hi Portia,
      Haha! the thing that a lot of people who do not eat eggs have with eggs in a bake is the taste and smell of the eggs! If oyu do not like them you will taste them it seems!
      Yogurt is pretty benign, flax egg really does not have much taste, but it depends on the recipe, you choose the substitute to match the recipe.
      I hope this is of help,

21. Deveshree on June 26, 2018 at 11:47 am

Hi Gemma,

If I substitute applesauce for egg, should I keep the rest of the recipe exactly as is? Would it still give me the same texture of cake as i get with egg?

Thanks,
    Deveshree

• Gemma Stafford on June 29, 2018 at 2:58 am

Hi there Deveshree,
      If you change an ingredient in a recipe you change the result. Recipes designed for eggs will be best with eggs. However applesauce/banana/yogurt etc can be a good substitute for people who do not eat eggs for all sorts of reasons. It eggs are not a dietary issue for you then use eggs. The substitutes are great, but they are substitutes!
      I hope this is of help,

22. Anya on June 25, 2018 at 8:34 am

Hello gemma
    Have used your egg substitutes before worked well wanted to ask how much flaxseed should i use for 1 egg and an egg yolk for a cookie recipe? Thanx

• Gemma Stafford on June 26, 2018 at 2:51 am

Hi Anya,
      One tablespoon of milled flaxseed or chia seed to 3 tablespoons or so of water replaces one egg.
      I think 1 1/2 tablespoons of flaxseed with four of water should work well for you, it will not fail.
      Gemma 😉

23. Taniya on June 14, 2018 at 3:19 am

Hey Gemma. Could you suggest what is feasible to be used for breads, pastry dough, and mousse instead of egg?
    Also can you tell what meringue is and can we make it without egg?

• Gemma Stafford on June 14, 2018 at 6:55 pm

Hi Taniya,

For mousse and meringue you can use chick pea water. I suggest looking up aquafaba.

For breads, It can be tricky. Some people just leave them out of certain recipes. I have not found a good alternative except for just leaving them out.

Hope this is of some help,
      Gemma.

• Taniya on June 14, 2018 at 8:56 pm

Thank you so much Gemma.

24. Hope on June 13, 2018 at 9:41 am

Hi Gemma,
    I love your work ! Thanks again for being so understanding <3
    I know its not related to baking but would you know any egg substitutes for pasta?
    I tried what I believe might be the easiest recipe for pasta; you just need to mix all purpose flour, olive oil, salt, pepper and egg together, knead it for a while let it rest so you can roll it out cut into what ever shapes I chose strips and just add water to it boil it basically use it like any other store bought pasta….it turned out great but i was hoping the next time I make it I dont use egg
    I haven't tried any other kind but I know there are ones which like use different flours and stuff..
    Could you make a video about pasta I love how you teach and just share everything, you're the sweetest<3

• Gemma Stafford on June 14, 2018 at 8:31 pm

Thanks so much,Hope!! I’m really delighted you like my recipes.

I’ll see what I can do about the pasta 🙂

Best,
      Gemma.

25. Arushi on June 11, 2018 at 10:27 pm

Hi Gemma ! I love your recipes and they are always a hit. I was looking forward to bake donuts , i wanted to know which would be the best substitute for eggs in your recipe for donuts .

• Gemma Stafford on June 12, 2018 at 2:45 am

Hi Arushi,
      I think it is actually difficult to sub the eggs in a yeast bake, they add richness and a tender finish. Flax egg is probably the best suggestion, but it still does not give the same result. I hope this helps, let me know if oyu try it,

26. Lindsay Williams on May 14, 2018 at 9:22 am

Yes i like too cook.

27. Radha on May 12, 2018 at 6:59 am

Hi gemma,
    Thanks for this egg substitution chart . Could you please tell me what would be the best egg substitute for scones ? Thanks a lot .😊😊😊

• Gemma Stafford on May 15, 2018 at 7:22 am

Hi Radha,

You know, I’m not 100% sure because I have never left eggs out. I would say maybe apple sauce, banana or buttermilk would work great. I’m leaning towards buttermilk.

Hope this helps,
      Gemma.

28. Jini on May 7, 2018 at 6:23 pm

Hi Gemma
    Love your crazy cupcake recipie…can I replace egg with yoghurt or banana? In case of banana will it have a taste difference..which is the best replacement?
    Thanks

• Gemma Stafford on May 8, 2018 at 4:50 am

Hi there,
      For this recipe the best replacement will be unsweetened applesauce, or flax egg.
      Banana is of course a great substitute, but it does add to the flavor, though minimally, you need to test this for your own taste.

29. Hiba on May 6, 2018 at 8:41 am

Hi Gemma
    Thanks for the amazing recipes, they are delicious and very easy to make. I have one question please, I was looking for egg substitute and I found your website very helpful but in some of your recipes you use eggyolk instead of a whole egg, what can I use instead of it??
    Thanks

• Gemma Stafford on May 6, 2018 at 10:13 pm

Hi,

Delighted you like my recipes!! Thanks for your lovely comment. Where you see me use egg yolk just 1/3 amount of the measurement given for the substitute.

Hope this makes sense,
      Gemma.

Best,
      Gemma.

30. Praveena on April 26, 2018 at 12:17 am

Hi Gemma…i’m huge fan of yours…your videos are amazing… my chocolate cake recipe already has milk so I can substitute buttermilk for eggs?

• Gemma Stafford on April 26, 2018 at 4:47 pm

Hum, I would say maybe condensed milk should be used. That should work well.

Really glad you like my recipes 🙂

Best,
      Gemma.

31. Nandini Gupta on April 8, 2018 at 10:41 pm

Hi Gemma!
    I am baking an eggless chocolate cake. Can I use flax gel instead of egg?

• Gemma Stafford on April 9, 2018 at 4:14 am

Hi there,
      Yes! a good substitute for this type of cake. Do let us know how it works for you, and post a pic too!

32. skydancer on April 6, 2018 at 7:59 am

gemma do you or any of the other bolder bakers have recipe for amish bread using one of your bread doughs.

• Gemma Stafford on April 6, 2018 at 7:26 pm

I don’t but hopefully someone will see you message and help out. I’ll keep an eye out for one.

Best,
      Gemma.

• Mei Highfill on April 8, 2018 at 9:09 am

There is one on the King Author Flour website. I just saw it and there were comments about how tasty it is. M

33. Dan Leeder on April 2, 2018 at 2:07 pm

Hey Gemma,
    For those of us who are not vegan, but simply forgot to buy eggs, a simple substitute is a couple tablespoons of mayo. Works great!!

• Gemma Stafford on April 3, 2018 at 2:21 am

Hi Dan,
      Yes! you are right, it is perfect as a substitute for eggs. In fact there are some recipes which call for this as an ingredient, I really must demonstrate this recipe. Thank you for your input,

34. Sayoni Gupta on March 29, 2018 at 11:33 pm

Hey Gemma,
    Thanks for all your awesome recipes. If I use sweetened condense milk as a substitute to egg in a cookie recipe, then in what proportion should I use sugar? Since the condense milk will be sweet as well. Please help me with this. Also, can I use buttermilk as a substitute for egg in cookies’ recipe as well?

• Gemma Stafford on March 30, 2018 at 2:00 am

Hi there,
      It is difficult to replace eggs in cookies. You have to think why the egg is there. In cookies it does two jobs, it binds the ingredients to hold the cookie together, and it adds richness. For cookies flax egg/chia seed egg is probably the best sub. This becomes glutenous and will not add liquid to the mix, liquids are the enemy of a cookie! Condensed milk is worth a try as it is low in liquid, it will replace the same amount of sugar, so 1 tablespoon of condensed removes 1 tablespoon of sugar from the recipe. Not buttermilk for cookies!
      Do let us know how you get on,

35. Janagi on March 22, 2018 at 11:55 pm

I tried your carrot cake recipe and now everyone addicted to it.. light and flavourful. Big fan of you gemma .

• Gemma Stafford on March 23, 2018 at 3:28 am

Yea!
      Now I am doing my happy dance, thank you, I am delighted to hear this,

• Danielle on March 28, 2018 at 2:16 pm

Did you use one of the egg replacers in the carrot cake? If so, which one?
      I made Gemma’s Best Ever Carrot Cake last Easter and it was truly the best ever! Everyone raved about it. I’m wanting to make a vegan version this year…even whipped up my own vegan unsalted butter for the cream cheese frosting!

• Gemma Stafford on March 29, 2018 at 3:35 am

Hi Danielle,
        I think I would use applesauce as an egg replacer in this recipe. A flax egg will bring more oil, though if you reduce the oil in the recipe by the same amount as the flax egg this should be good too,
        gemma 🙂

• Danielle on March 29, 2018 at 11:01 am

Thank you!! 😊

• Danielle on April 1, 2018 at 11:07 am

Made vegan carrot cake cupcakes today! I used 1 C applesauce and 1 T soy lecithin. They turned out perfect!

• Gemma Stafford on April 1, 2018 at 11:14 am

Thanks Danielle for sharing that 🙂

Gemma.

36. Mahi Walia on March 21, 2018 at 6:00 am

Hi Gemma! I’d like to know at what stage in the baking process do I add the egg substitute? Is it at the same time as the recipe calls for the egg?

• Gemma Stafford on March 22, 2018 at 5:22 am

H ithere,
      Yes! That is it exactly,
      Happy baking,

37. Mary on March 20, 2018 at 1:03 pm

Hi I have been watching your videos and finally joined today. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us. I am a pretty strong baker but never knew about egg substitutes.
    I have used apple sauce as a substitute for oil but not for eggs.
    Do you have a category for oil substitutes?

• Gemma Stafford on March 21, 2018 at 4:14 am

Hi Mary,
      Thank you, we will be delighted to get your input as you see things that spark your experience, it always helps.
      Yes, and you are so right, applesauce is a great fat substitute for many recipes, but not all. I need to get my head, and Olivia, my catering assistant’s head too around this,it is a great suggestion.

38. Fathima Suleman on March 19, 2018 at 1:17 am

Hello Gemma,

I would like to know what the best substitutes are for microwave mug cakes and microwave cookies?

Especially when a recipe calls for 1egg yolk,for instance

Thank you!
    I look forward to hearing from you soon!

• Gemma Stafford on March 19, 2018 at 9:12 am

Hi Fatima,
      When you are using egg substitutes it is important to ask yourself the purpose of the egg.
      Egg in a recipe can have a number of functions, to bind the ingredients, to add to the leavening/raising of the bake/to thicken, to enrich. (https://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/egg-substitutes-for-baking/) this chart will guide you. For cake type recipes fruit purees/applesauce/banana work well. Flax egg can enrich and will be good when you are replacing egg yolk. Yogurt too. Really it does depend on the recipe,

39. Chloe on March 10, 2018 at 2:04 am

hi gemma, so I’m trying to make a cake but I have no time to run to the store and buy eggs what can i use to make a chocolate cake?

• Gemma Stafford on March 10, 2018 at 4:14 am

Hi Chloe,
      Choosing a substitute depends on the purpose of the egg in a recipe.
      In this one it is to bind,enrich and add to the leavening/raising of the cake.
      The ones which work best for this purpose are fruit purees/banana/apple or flax egg. Really it is about what you have to hand where you are!
      Milled flax seeds are a great store cupboard essential, adding nutrition to all sorts of dishes, and an easy and convenient egg substitute.
      Failing all of that, mayonnaise!

40. Prachi on March 9, 2018 at 6:32 am

Can you make eggless or vegan macroons??

• Gemma Stafford on March 9, 2018 at 6:46 am

do you mean macarons?
      Macaroons are easy as they are a coconut cookie, and we have these here on the website.
      Vegan macaron are on the list.
      Yes, it is possible, you use a thing called aquafaba, and we will show you how to do this soon too. Look it up in the meantime!

41. lydia on March 8, 2018 at 3:48 pm

hi sir or ma, how are u, thank u for teaching me this. thank u so much. what and what I will use for meat pie. pls tell me how to do it, and the ingredients.

• Gemma Stafford on March 9, 2018 at 4:43 am

Hi Lydia,
      I am not sure what you are looking for here!
      Do you mean the pastry, or something like this poptart: (https://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/homemade-pop-tarts/). You can add savory, cooked, fillings to these too.
      Meat pies are many and varied, and there are loads of recipes for these fillings online. I have great pastry here for your topping. Let me know how I can help,

42. Haryana on March 7, 2018 at 2:44 am

Hi Gemma

• Gemma Stafford on March 7, 2018 at 3:03 am

Hi there!
      good to have you with us,

43. Aaki on March 5, 2018 at 11:11 pm

Hi Gemma when substituting eggs in brownies do I add in baking powder or baking soda for a little push. I am planning onto use yogurt.

• Gemma Stafford on March 6, 2018 at 11:49 am

Hi there,
      Interesting point! Generally brownies are dense, it is the nature of this bake. The eggs are there for two reasons, to add richness, and to bind the bake, a tad!
      Fruit purees will bind the bake quite well, so applesauce, pureed prunes, or pureed bananas will do it for you. I have been told by other Bold Bakers that banana is a good choice for this!
      When substituting egg in a recipe, ask yourself ‘what is the purpose of the egg in this recipe’? this will help you to choose the right one!

44. David on March 5, 2018 at 6:15 pm

Hi… I see all these recipes for sweets. But what about egg replacements for low carb breads, pizza crusts, crackers, that call for eggs?

• Gemma Stafford on March 6, 2018 at 12:37 pm

Hi David,
      I think I got to this earlier today, do let me know!
      Gemma 😉

45. Prachi on February 27, 2018 at 4:32 am

Can I please know which is the best substitute for egg in brownies?

• Gemma Stafford on February 28, 2018 at 6:39 am

In brownies the egg is used to bind the recipe. This is what you need to substitute. Pureed fruits/applesauce/banana are good for this. Flax egg is good too, yogurt and buttermilk as a last resort!
      I hope this works well for you,

46. Shriya on February 26, 2018 at 12:03 am

Hey Gemma, if I’ll be using sweetened condensed milk as substitute for egg, will I have to leave out the sugar in the recipe?

• Gemma Stafford on February 26, 2018 at 3:06 am

Hi there Shriya,
      It depends on the recipe!
      Condensed milk is suitable for some recipes, but not for others.
      If you are using it in cookies you need to adjust the sugars. Really by about the same amount as the condensed milk/tablespoon for tablespoon.
      Adjust the white sugars if possible.
      I hope this makes sense to you,

47. Esha on February 25, 2018 at 11:59 pm

I tried the best ever brownie recipe with buttermilk as egg substitute and I ended up with a crumbly batch of brownies. Any help on this?

• Gemma Stafford on February 28, 2018 at 6:46 am

Hi Esha,
      Always an issue when you substitute an ingredient. Egg in this recipe is used to bind the ingredients. Think about the purpose of it when you are selecting a sub.
      Sometimes egg is used to enrich, as in cakes, breads etc. When you need to bind you choose in order of preference fruit puree/applesauce/pureed banana (actually prunes and dates can work well too but add to the sweetness), flax egg, silken tofu, and then yogurt and buttermilk.
      Really the fruit puree will bind best, you may need to try a small batch to test the one which will work best for you,
      Gemma 😉

• Esha on March 11, 2018 at 10:33 pm

Thank you Gemma! 🙂
        Will try it with mashed banana next time.

48. Cesar on February 25, 2018 at 10:04 pm

Which substitute will work best for Waffles?

• Gemma Stafford on February 26, 2018 at 3:10 am

Hi Cesar,
      In common with pancakes, buttermilk is the best substitute.
      Recipes which rely on egg are more difficult to sub out. Pancakes work well with buttermilk, get the batter right and it should work well for waffles.
      Try a small batch first, experiment a little with this,

49. Gladys on February 18, 2018 at 7:19 am

What about butter substitutes?

• Gemma Stafford on February 19, 2018 at 4:14 am

Hi Gladys,
      Generally a recipe will say if oil is suitable. Muffins for instance tend to use oils, as does carrot cake.
      Baking vegetable margarine is a great substitute for butter in any recipe where the butter is to be creamed with sugar. This is usually sold in a block.
      Tub margarines are ok for buttercream frosting, but it may need a bit of help to stiffen it up, cornstarch/cornflour can be used for this.

50. Raksha Prasad on February 11, 2018 at 12:54 pm

Hey Gemma! If I use the banana to replace the egg in a cake, will the cake have banana flavour in It? Because I m looking for a simple vanilla cake and would not prefer having any other flavour apart from vanilla.

• Gemma Stafford on February 11, 2018 at 4:30 pm

Hi Raksha,

Not really, the banana flavor will be very little, if any.

Write a Comment and Review