Hi Bold Bakers! This week, we have a lot to celebrate so I want to show you how to make a colorful Funfetti celebration cake for birthdays and special events. So let’s get baking!
- 3 ⅓ cups (1lb 1oz/ 500g) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups (12oz/355g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (3 oz / 90g) light brown sugar
- 1 cup (8oz / 240g) butter, melted
- 2 Large eggs
- 2 cups (16oz / 500g) Buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup (3oz/90g) sprinkles
- 1 cup (8oz/240g) butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 cups (12oz/360g) powdered sugar, sifted
- 2-3 drops of Green food colouring (use what ever color you like)
- Preheat oven to 350F(180oC) degrees. Grease and line a 2x 9-inch springform or baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, both sugars, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter in the microwave.
- In a separate jug, whisk the egg, buttermilk, and vanilla extract until combined.
- Stir in buttermilk mix into the dry ingredients, followed by the butter until no lumps remain. The batter will be thick.
- Lastly, stir in sprinkles, but do not overmix because the sprinkles will bleed their color.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan. Bake for 35-40 minute or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- To make the frosting, beat softened butter on medium speed with an electric or stand mixer. Beat for 3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Add powdered sugar, and flavoring (bubble gum or vanilla extract) with the mixer running. Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes.
- Frost cooled cake: Start by frosting a thin ‘crumb layer’. Chill for 30 minutes to set the frosting. Once that layer is set apply a second layer of thicker frosting
- Using a butter knife, pressing gently run it from the bottom to the top all the way around. You will create lovely, rough texture. Continue on the top of the cake moving from the edge of the cake to the center.
- Decorate as desired with candy and sprinkles. There may be leftover frosting depending how much you wish to use.
- Cover cake and store at room temperature for up to 7 days. Enjoy!
- Bubblegum and other extracts here: (http://amzn.to/2gqIlnp).
SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE
9 ImagesSubmit Your Photos
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.