Your #1 Online Baking Destination!

How to make Homemade Buttermilk- Make it at home easily with just milk and lemon juice, that’s it!

How to Make Buttermilk Substitute

Save Recipe

Hi Bold Bakers!

Working as a professional chef I have learned a lot over the years and I’m excited to share what I’ve learned with you.

How to Make Buttermilk at home is a very important Bold Baking Basic I think you need to know. I use Buttermilk a lot in my baking, however not on a weekly basis. I find myself using half a carton in a recipe and then by the time I want to use it again it is bad I would have to throw it away.  I hate waste so my simple solution to eliminate waste is to make the amount that I need using just milk and lemon juice.

Buttermilk is an important ingredient in baking. It adds flavor and makes moist, rich cakes. I love using it to bake. Once you know how simple it is to make you never have to leave it out of your recipes again.

This Homemade Buttermilk makes a great addition to any pancake recipe, like my Best-Ever Buttermilk Pancake recipeRed Velvet Pancakes and even my Churro Waffles. Plus, I use it in my Best-Ever Chocolate Cake and traditional Irish Soda Bread.

How to make Homemade Buttermilk, Homemade Buttermilk, how to buttermilk, buttermilk recipe, making buttermilk, buttermilk at home, how to videos, how to recipes, basic baking tips, basic baking, baking, baking recipes, dessert, desserts recipes, desserts, cheap recipes, easy desserts, quick easy desserts, best desserts, best ever desserts, simple desserts, simple recipes, recieps, baking recieps, how to make, how to bake, cheap desserts, affordable recipes, Gemma Stafford, Bigger Bolder Baking, bold baking, bold bakers, bold recipes, bold desserts, desserts to make, quick recipes

Buttermilk is widely available in Ireland as it is a main ingredient in traditional Brown Soda Bread. However since moving to the U.S I realized it’s not as readily available. If you are in this situation you now know that you can whip up a great substitution is minutes.

Use my Buttermilk Substitute Recipe with:

Get more Bold Baking Basics recipes!

Pre-order the first Bigger Bolder Baking cookbook now!

4.41 from 177 votes
How to Make Buttermilk

Learn how to make Buttermilk at home so you always have it on hand for my Buttermilk Biscuits, Pancake recipes, and even Irish Soda Bread.

Course: Ingredient
Cuisine: American
Author: Gemma Stafford
Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice or white vinegar
  • 1 Cup (8oz / 224g) milk (full or low fat)
Instructions
  1. Measure the milk into a jug
  2. Stir in lemon juice or vinegar into the milk. Stir to combine. Let sit for 30 minutes at room temperature until the milk begins to curdle and becomes acidic.
  3. Use in place of buttermilk in the recipe as it calls for. And if you don’t use it straight away store it in the fridge for up to 3 days.

Watch the Recipe Video!

Recipe Notes

I don't recommend freezing Buttermilk. Dairy doesn't always defrost the same way.

SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE

MaryPalermo68
ShamimaS
WhatsCookin
mug_logo_150
Katherine Cowgill by Teren Oddo Oct. 2015

Meet Gemma

Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!

Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.

And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.

301 Comments

Write a Comment and Review

1. P.S. on September 19, 2017 at 10:50 am

You saved me! I put so many recipes aside because I don’t find buttermilk on my country, but now I can do all of them! No more of those sad moments! Thank you! 🙂

• Gemma Stafford on September 19, 2017 at 4:22 pm

Really glad to hear that. Hope you get to bake with it.

Gemma.

• P.S. on September 20, 2017 at 5:49 am

I’ll give 5 starts again because I’ve tried it today and it worked perfectly!

2. Minichef13 on August 20, 2017 at 1:09 pm

Hi can this be used to substitute yogurt in the crazy dough recipe if yes how much should I use ?

• Gemma Stafford on August 21, 2017 at 1:55 am

Hi there,
      Yes, you can use this as the milk addition for this recipe. All will be well,

• Jemma Anne on September 23, 2017 at 5:08 am

What could I use instead of coffee as nobody in my household drinks it we don’t have any ?

• Gemma Stafford on September 23, 2017 at 7:37 am

for my chocolate cake? Leave it out and just replace it with buttermilk. The coffee add extra depth to the chocolate but it is not an essential ingredient.

Hope this helps,
        Gemma.

3. John D on August 18, 2017 at 3:37 pm

Seems like an easy recipe.

4. Aya on August 2, 2017 at 7:34 pm

Does it work with this recipe ??
    [Crispy Glazed fried Chicken]
    https://youtu.be/kX4ZUbS6PH0 (1 minute )

• Gemma Stafford on August 3, 2017 at 2:38 am

Hi there Aya,
      I presume your crispy chicken recipe involves marinading the chicken in the buttermilk. If so, yes, this is absolutely perfect for this. you can use this in most recipes really, particularly if you use lemon juice as the acid. The recipe is here too (https://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/homemade-buttermilk/) follow it carefully, and make as much or as little as you need for your recipe,

5. arie on July 31, 2017 at 10:02 am

Hi Gemma, I tried to make this buttermilk substitute, but the milk curdled and separated into curds and whey like in your cream cheese substitute, it didnt thicken like buttermilk. I used raw milk and pasteurized myself to 160’F then cooled till 100’F or 40’C, and it’s unhomogenized. I also tried to cool the milk in fridge but its still didnt thicken, just curdled and separate from whey, in a lesser degree than before. Does the milk need to be homogenized?

• Gemma Stafford on August 2, 2017 at 7:51 pm

So Arie I don’t think you did anything wrong. It thickens a little but yes it does curdle and it is supposed to.

If you didn’t throw it away still use it :).

6. June Loo on July 26, 2017 at 5:36 am

Can I use rice vinegar?

• Gemma Stafford on July 28, 2017 at 1:11 am

Hi June,
      Yes, this is a vinegar, an acid, just like any other, it will be perfect,

7. Pete Schmidt on July 20, 2017 at 2:53 pm

Can I use this buttermilk substitute in homemade creme fraiche? Thanks, Pete

• Gemma Stafford on July 22, 2017 at 11:51 am

Hi Pete,
      There are a number of ‘starters’ for this! some say yogurt, others buttermilk.
      I like this one:
      2 cups fresh cream, about 35% fat content, mixed with 4 tablespoons buttermilk.
      Mix well and cover, a large glass jar is good for this.
      Let stand at room temperature (about 70 degrees F.) for 8 to 24 hours, or until thickened
      Stir well and refrigerate.
      Use within 10 days.
      If you have a slow cooker, with a keep warm setting, this should do this for you, but you will need to check your instruction book, most will be about 70 degrees.
      This should do it for you, it is worth a try if you like this gorgeous thing!

8. LovelyQueen on June 27, 2017 at 12:43 am

Hi Gemma

So i made this buttermilk substitute for your chocolate cake but the cake taste sour like lemon, help me Gemma ><

• Gemma Stafford on June 27, 2017 at 9:53 am

what?? that’s weird!! so such a small amount of buttermilk in a large cake you really shouldn’t have been able to taste it.

Maybe if you wish use less lemon juice next time.

Hope this helps 🙂

• Coleton on July 16, 2017 at 8:39 pm

How do you make raspberry frosting

• Gemma Stafford on July 16, 2017 at 11:51 pm

Hi there,
          You can make raspberry frosting by using a little raspberry puree. You cannot use too much however or the frosting will not hold up.You will need to sieve the seeds from the raspberries too. Add a little pink/red coloring and a fresh raspberry on top. Remember this fresh fruit will affect the keeping quality of the frosting.

9. adenike on June 16, 2017 at 8:49 pm

can i use plan yoghurt and whipping cream. and measurements

10. Melissa on May 20, 2017 at 5:38 am

Hi gemma! Can we half this recipe? I just need 1/2 cup of buttermilk. Thanks a lot gem!

• Gemma Stafford on May 20, 2017 at 7:27 am

Hi Melissa,

you sure can 1/2 it, no problem.

Happy Baking!
      Gemma.

• adenike on June 16, 2017 at 8:37 pm

am thinking of using natural yoghurt and whipping cream. Would that work?

• Gemma Stafford on June 19, 2017 at 12:55 pm

Hi there,
          I think I am confused about your question!
          What would you be using this for. Whipping cream is a name which can be used for a manufactured cream too, and yogurt is not a curd. I am having trouble finding the thread of this, I am sorry,

11. Nhu Nguyen on May 8, 2017 at 5:11 pm

Oh my goodness :). This saves me time and money. Thank you so much!!

12. Neha on April 28, 2017 at 6:46 pm

Thanks for solving my dilemma for buttermilk substitute. I would love to see some gluten free recipes by you as I am gluten allergic !

• Gemma Stafford on April 29, 2017 at 1:42 am

Hi Neha,
      That is too bad! so many people with this allergy.
      I try to consider this in recipes, and many recipes can now be made with the commercially produced gluten free flours.
      Do take a look in your store to see what the packs tell you. Bread is the difficult one, as yeast needs gluten. Soda bread may be a good alternative for you, but do check out the flours,

13. luise.tz on April 12, 2017 at 4:45 am

I’ve made pancakes with this buttermilk and it tasted soo good!

• Gemma Stafford on April 12, 2017 at 7:12 am

Hi there luise,
      That is great, I am happy that this worked out for you,

14. Jalene on April 8, 2017 at 8:20 pm

Hello! Can i use apple cider vinegar or rice wine vinegar instead of white vinegar?

• Gemma Stafford on April 9, 2017 at 4:16 am

Hi there,
      Yes, any vinegar will do this, it is about adding the acid to the alkaline of the milk,

15. Danielle on March 27, 2017 at 9:29 am

Hi! I love that you tell us how to make things we don’t get in the place I’m in right now!
    Can this buttermilk substitute be used as an egg replacement in cakes like you’ve mentioned in your chart?

• Gemma Stafford on March 27, 2017 at 11:12 am

Hi Danielle,
      Yes, it can be used in any recipe. Check the chart for the best substitute for each type of recipe,

16. Myrra on March 12, 2017 at 5:55 pm

Hi Gemma thank you for your great recipes.
    I am Myrra from Indonesia, it is quite difficult to find buttermilk here and I already make some of your recipes, homemade buttermilk is very useful… 🙂

• Gemma Stafford on March 13, 2017 at 7:38 am

Hi there Myrra,
      It is good to have you with us. I am happy that you like these recipes. ingredients can be a problem for some people in some places, dairy in particular is an issue!

17. Farrah on February 15, 2017 at 10:32 pm

Hey Gemma,
    So if the recipe calls for 1 cup buttermilk I have to substitute it with 1 cup milk+lemon?

• Gemma Stafford on February 16, 2017 at 8:39 am

That is the idea Farrah, just make what you need,

18. Funmi on February 12, 2017 at 8:15 am

Hi Gemma, can I use lime in place of Lemon? Thanks, from Nigeria

• Gemma Stafford on February 13, 2017 at 8:37 am

Hi there,
      Vinegar will be best, lime is a soft acid, will not really suit you so well, though you can try this!

19. Simon on February 5, 2017 at 1:03 am

Hi Gemma,

Tried your buttermilk substitute recipe and it worked well! Will this work with other dairy fluids with higher milk fat like half & half(10%) and whipping cream(33%) using the same ratios of lemon juice/vinegar?

Thanks,

Simon

• Gemma Stafford on February 5, 2017 at 2:38 am

Hi there Simon,
      Yes, in a word!
      Take a look at the cream cheese recipe too. What you are doing is getting the curd to separate from the whey, to a lesser extent in the buttermilk as it has a different purpose.
      When you make cream cheese you can use either a light milk, a full fat milk, a light cream, or a heavy cream. The higher the fat content the richer the result. So, a heavy cream will produce very little whey, and a rich cream cheese like a mascarpone.
      The sour cream recipe is slightly different and I have a version here on my website, this is all learning curve!

20. Danez Luis on January 30, 2017 at 2:27 am

Hi Gemma, Your biggest fan from Philippines… Thank you for all the videos you shared. You are such wonderful.

• Gemma Stafford on January 31, 2017 at 2:13 am

Thank you, I am lucky to have such a great supportive community, I appreciate your kind support,

21. Tunde on January 23, 2017 at 6:26 am

Hi Gemma. Where we live, we get milj straight from the cow. Can I make this buttermilk substitute from milk that I have boiled and cooled? I guess I”ll just have to give it a go. Thank you!!!

• Gemma Stafford on January 25, 2017 at 5:30 am

Hi there,
      Yes! I think you boil and cool the milk to sterilize it! If you can safely drink raw milk then you will not need to boil it, it will form a curd in either case,

22. Kushleen on January 10, 2017 at 9:45 pm

Hi gemma i had a question will this homemade buttermilk work as a substitute of eggs in baking (specifically cake)??

• Gemma Stafford on January 11, 2017 at 2:29 am

Yes, it is really a cultured buttermilk, like you really get in the store.
      Check out my egg substitute chart here on the website. egg substitutes work best when matched with a specific recipe.
      Applesauce seems to be a generally good one for cakes for instance, yogurt too. you may need to experiment to find the one just right for you,

23. TakaneNaki on November 26, 2016 at 11:46 pm

In my country,It was really hard to find a lemon .can I substitude with lime?

• Gemma Stafford on November 27, 2016 at 2:36 am

Hi there, yes, any acid will do, a white vinegar would be perfect too, Gemma 🙂

24. Anna. Fernandez on October 21, 2016 at 9:50 am

Hi Gemma i only have 1% low fat milk can i use this too.

• Gemma Stafford on October 22, 2016 at 1:13 am

Yes Anna, this is not dependent on the fat in the milk, Gemma 🙂

25. Trang Bùi on October 8, 2016 at 7:32 am

Hi Gemma
    Where should I keep the buttermilk if I have a little bit left over?

• Gemma Stafford on October 9, 2016 at 9:00 am

In the fridge! it will keep for a few days,

26. Shazu Ahad on September 9, 2016 at 1:24 pm

Another way to make buttermilk is 3/4 cup yogurt mixed with 1/4 cup milk. To make homemade sour cream is add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar to 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream and whisk it until it thickens. Then mix in 1/2 cup of full-fat yogurt. This will yield 1 cup of sour cream and has the same acidity and protein content of carton sour cream.

27. Ramya on September 9, 2016 at 11:51 am

Hey Gemma,
    At our place buttermilk means beaten plain dairy yogurt with some water, which is indeed thick and yogurt can be sour when required,so can we use that in recipes required for buttermilk?

• Gemma Stafford on September 12, 2016 at 4:09 am

Yes you can, It is about the acid reacting with other ingredients such as bicarbonate of soda 🙂

28. Nana Osei-Tutu on September 8, 2016 at 8:51 am

Hi Gemma. I was just wondering, does the milk have to be at room temperature before you add in the acid for this to work?

• Gemma Stafford on September 8, 2016 at 1:38 pm

Measure the milk into a jug – Stir in lemon juice or vinegar into the milk. Stir to combine. Let sit for 30 minutes at room temperature until the milk begins to curdle and becomes acidic.

29. Lynda McCain on September 7, 2016 at 6:50 pm

I love this buttermilk recipe, I am not a lover of buttermilk other than cooking. Made my granddaughter some cornbread with it, now I have to make it every weekend. Used just milk and that did not work. Again thanks for the recipe.

• Gemma Stafford on September 8, 2016 at 12:28 am

I am really happy that this recipe is suiting your purpose, so nice to be baking for your granddaughter too, always fun! 🙂

30. OreoChipz on September 5, 2016 at 7:42 pm

Hi, Chef! Would you happen to have an easy technique to make creme fraiche or sour cream? Thanks a lot!

• Gemma Stafford on September 6, 2016 at 1:33 am

Hi there, creme fraiche is made in a similar way to our cream cheese recipe except you use cream. There are a number of ways to make sour cream, it can be simply made by adding an acid agent, such as vinegar, for immediate use, a longer process if you wish to preserve it for a time. i will add this to my list,

• OreoChipz on September 6, 2016 at 5:14 am

Thanks a lot for this. Whew! 😀

• Gemma Stafford on September 7, 2016 at 3:19 am

Happy to have you with us 🙂

31. MinahilIshaq on September 4, 2016 at 3:03 am

hey gemma i am confused that is that the real buttermilk or its substitude because ON the video its written substitude and IN the video you say REAL BUTTERMILK

• Gemma Stafford on September 4, 2016 at 4:59 am

This is of course a substitute. If it were real buttermilk it would be the whey left behind after the butter-making process. We sour the milk slightly to add an acid essential to some recipes 🙂

32. Mary Cacciatore on August 25, 2016 at 3:57 pm

I will never buy buttermilk again! I used this when I did your pancake recipe the other day and again today for chocolate cake. It is super easy, I always have the ingredients on hand and I think it tastes great. (I use bottled lemon juice)

• Gemma Stafford on August 26, 2016 at 2:43 am

Hi Mary, thank you for all of your kind comments, and for always being with us, i appreciate it.
      glad you liked this cake, it is a good one! 🙂

33. Kikis on August 24, 2016 at 9:00 am

Hi Gemma,

If I only need 3/4 cup of buttermilk (for your funfetti cupcakes), and 1,5 cup of buttermilk (for your rainbow cake ) so how much should I put the vinegar and the milk?

Thanks

• Gemma Stafford on August 25, 2016 at 1:24 am

Hi Kikis,
      Measure according to the recipe: 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice or white vinegar 1 Cup (8oz / 224g) milk (full or low fat).
      Make up 3 cups and then sour it accordingly, take your measurement from that.

34. OreoChipz on August 24, 2016 at 8:56 am

I’m loving you website! Thanks a lot. Can’t find buttermilk so I’ve been browsing a lot of videos. Your’s is by far, the EASIEST way to make it. Geeze! Thank you so much!!! I’m now excited to make it and I don’t have to wait for 2 days. Unbelievable. 😀 😀 😀

• Gemma Stafford on August 25, 2016 at 1:24 am

Thank you for your kind comments, and for being with us,

35. shysurfdude on August 24, 2016 at 3:24 am

I’m so confused! This is for 1 cup of buttermilk (400ml) but I need 1 2/3 cup of buttermilk for Irish soda bread. How much lemon juice and milk do I need?!

• Gemma Stafford on August 25, 2016 at 1:37 am

Hi there,
      Just multiply up the recipe! three cups will do it for you, measure out what you need,

36. makeitsweet14 on August 14, 2016 at 8:51 pm

hi Gemma! in store i cant find the buttermilk liquid. but i find a powder one, how to use it?

• Gemma Stafford on August 15, 2016 at 1:44 am

Hi there,
      Can you find fresh milk? if you can you can make the substitute from that. I am not sure about powdered buttermilk, this is not a familiar ingredient to me.

37. shikha on August 9, 2016 at 7:19 am

Can i please know how much yoghurt is needed for a 1/2 kg cake,
    And also can you please make a video on eggless chocolate cake and a chocolate ganache

38. Kate on July 25, 2016 at 9:39 am

Hello Gemma, does the milk have to be at room temperature or cold before we add the lemon juice?

• Gemma Stafford on July 26, 2016 at 8:45 am

Hi Kate,
      it does not really matter, add it and allow to stand, that is the idea,

39. Angela De Guzman on July 23, 2016 at 3:17 am

This is awesome! I rarely see buttermilk available in our grocery stores, but now I can finally make red velvet recipes without hassle. 😀

• Gemma Stafford on July 24, 2016 at 1:07 pm

Yea! that is great Angela, i am happy to hear that,

40. Emmanuel on July 12, 2016 at 5:37 am

I am from nigeria the buttermilk I got following your instruction was very thick is it wat I’m suppose 2 get?

• Gemma Stafford on July 12, 2016 at 10:50 am

Hi Emmanuel,
      Buttermilk can indeed be very thick. if is is stored at room temperature it will thicken up more than if it is refrigerated. If you prefer it lighter reduce the souring agent by half next time,

41. Mansi on July 10, 2016 at 4:43 am

Hi Gemma. Thanks fr such amazing recipes. Could u share recipe for sour cream.
    Thanks! 🙂

• Gemma Stafford on July 11, 2016 at 3:20 am

Hi Mansi,
      Really this is just a question of adding an alkaline to the cream. To 1/2 pint of fresh cream add one teaspoon of white vinegar/lemon juice, allow to stand at room temperature, this will sour it and thicken it. It must be fresh dairy cream though!

42. Rawan on July 10, 2016 at 12:18 am

When I made it. The vinger stayed at the top of milk and the milk didn’t thick. What is the problem

• Gemma Stafford on July 10, 2016 at 1:59 am

Hi Rawan,
      I do not know! I cannot figure this out. Are you talking dairy milk? It is impossible not to sour this if you add vinegar.

• Rawan on July 27, 2016 at 12:00 am

I used dairy milk

• Trang Nguyễn on July 29, 2016 at 11:45 pm

Why you don’t stir it ? Try it 🙂

43. ruby on July 7, 2016 at 6:08 pm

i love drinking buttermilk but i moved to a country where it is non-existent. same recipe can be drunk as well? i am passing your microwaveable recipes to my sons so they can bake although my eldest son can bake without help from me. i am not around to do some baking for them.

• Gemma Stafford on July 8, 2016 at 2:29 am

Hi Ruby,
      This Buttermilk is a substitute, and not like the real thing, which is the milk remaining after the butter has been made. I would not choose to drink this, though of course it would not be harmful. Thank you for passing on my recipes. it is great to get the kids cooking, a skill for life!

44. Lynne2232 on July 7, 2016 at 9:53 am

Thank you so much for all your time and expertise in sharing your recipes with us. I appreciate you very much.
    Being a older Senior you method is great for me.
    Lynne2232

• Gemma Stafford on July 7, 2016 at 1:33 pm

Thank you for visiting my website! I’m glad you found this recipe to be helpful 🙂

45. Maham on July 5, 2016 at 6:40 pm

Hey Gemma,
    This is such a helpful tip. It makes life alot easier. Just wondering if i decide to use 1/2 cup milk should i still add 2tbsp or just add 1tbsp of lemon juice. And also is ot better to add lemon juice or vinegar.

Thanks alot
    🙂

• Gemma Stafford on July 6, 2016 at 11:32 am

Thanks for your question. If you plan to only make 1/2 cup you should only use 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice. Either one works fine, so you can use whichever you have access to. Hope this helps 🙂

46. Emily Thorne on July 4, 2016 at 10:47 pm

Gemma thank you so much for the tip,but can i use lime juice instead of lemon juice?It can be quite difficult to get lemon where i live.Thank you

• Gemma Stafford on July 6, 2016 at 11:25 am

Hi Emily, lime juice will work well too. Thanks for visiting my website 🙂

47. Rachelle on July 4, 2016 at 8:00 pm

You are honestly a legend! I’ve recently moved to Istanbul and I’m finding it impossible to find ingredients i regularly use like sweetened condensedcondensed milk and buttermilk -_-“!! Your awesome recipes are saving my life so thank you!=D

• Gemma Stafford on July 6, 2016 at 11:24 am

Thanks so much Rachelle. I’m glad you find my recipes helpful 🙂

48. Carylee on July 4, 2016 at 5:24 pm

Just wondering if this would work with any non dairy milks, thinking not, but had to ask. Thanks, love your recipes!! Ive made your Irish Soda bread many times, so yummy, reminds me of a richer version of the bannock we make here in Canada. Keep up the good work 🙂

• Gemma Stafford on July 6, 2016 at 11:23 am

Yes, this will actually work with plant-based milks too 🙂

49. Natalia on July 4, 2016 at 11:46 am

Thank you!! In Uruguay we don’t have buttermilk or sour cream 🙁

• Gemma Stafford on July 6, 2016 at 11:15 am

I’m glad you found this recipe helpful. Thanks for visiting my website 🙂

50. Sharon Nanny on July 4, 2016 at 9:27 am

Can I use lemon juice from the store? I don’t keep fresh ones, because I don’t have the room in the bin.

• Gemma Stafford on July 6, 2016 at 11:07 am

Yep, that’s fine to use too 🙂

Write a Comment and Review