Hi Bold Bakers!
Are Baked Churros better than fried ones? I’ll show you how to make Homemade Baked Churros and you can find out for yourself. Plus, learn how to make a gorgeous Hot Chocolate to go along with them. So let’s get baking!
Be sure to subscribe to my FREE Newsletter for more great recipes like this one!
The Hot Chocolate is a perfect accompaniment for these churros. It’s rich and smooth, and ideal for dipping.
- 1 cup (8oz/225g) water
- ½ cup (4oz/113g) butter
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (white if you don’t have brown)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup (5oz/143g) plain flour/ all purpose flour
- 3 eggs , at room temperature
- For coating:
- ¼ cups (4oz/113g) sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Hot Chocolate
- Hot Chocolate
- 6 oz (1 cup/180g) bittersweet chocolate (at least 58% cacao), chopped
- 2 ½ cups (20oz/570ml) milk
- ½ tsp cornstarch/ cornflour (to be mixed with a 2 tsp of water)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- , Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Place two baking sheets on top of each other to bake the churros. This protects your delicate pastry. Line parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, add water, brown sugar, salt and butter. Place over medium-high heat. Heat until butter is melted and mixture starts to simmer. As soon as it is simmering, whisk in the flour. Whisk until there are no flour lumps and a dough ball has formed.
- Now, using a wooden spoon you want to stir the dough around you pot and cook it for about a minute over LOW heat. The mixture will clump and pull away from the sides of the pan. Just do it for a minute :), then take it off the heat and set aside.
- In a jug, combine eggs and vanilla and whisk together.
- Using your wooden spoon add incorporate a little of your egg mix into your dough. Stir and mash, breaking up the dough until loosened. Stir well until eggs are incorporated and mixture has the appearance of mashed potatoes.
- Continue adding your eggs until combined
- Transfer your dough to a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle.
- Pipe dough into long churros on the parchment-covered pans. Make sure to pipe them nice and thick. Do this by putting pressure on the bag and piping slowly.
- Leave about 2 inches of space between the churros.
- Bake for around 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. THEN turn off the oven and leave them in there for 10 minutes to dry a little. This step helps them keep their shape and not going flat once they cool.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon and salt in a ziplock baggie.
- Take the churros straight from the oven and toss them in the Roll churros in mixture until well covered. It is best to do this when the churros are warm and fresh from the oven.
- Enjoy your homemade churros with my decadent and thick hot chocolate
- For the Hot Chocolate:
- In a large heavy saucepan heat the milk until to a simmer.
- Combine chocolate, Heat the chocolate over medium heat, whisking frequently, until the chocolate is melted.
- Whisk the cornstarch mixed with water (aka slurry) into the chocolate.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until chocolate mixture begins to bubble. Reduce the heat and cook for 2 minutes, whisking, until thick.
- Remove chocolate from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Serve in large cups with churros.
SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE
42 ImagesSubmit Your Photos
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.