Hi Bold Bakers,
Guys, this cookie recipe is one for the books! My Nutella Lava Cookies take the double chocolate punch of a brownie cookie (or “brookie”) and the gooey molten middle of a lava cake and combine them into one. Now you don’t have to choose between getting that Nutella fix or chocolate chip cookie hit because you can have them at the same time. In other words, dreams do come true!
I’m sure you’re all familiar with the idea of a stuffed cookie but I bet you think it’s hard to make or that it requires special ingredients to achieve that ooey-gooey texture. Well I’m here to show you that it’s just one extra step and it is beyond worth it. These cookies start like any other double chocolate cookie and are not far off from my Best Ever Chocolate Cookies. The cookie itself is dense and brownie-like but in big and bold fashion it gets better from here.
After I mix up the chocolate cookie base, I spoon a generous amount of creamy Nutella into the center of each cookie. I cover up the Nutella with another layer of chocolate cookie to make sure it’s hidden in the center. After baking for only 12 minutes, these Nutella Lava Cookies are crisp on the outside and have a killer liquid-Nutella inside. There is really nothing more satisfying than sinking your teeth into one of these babies to reveal warm molten Nutella. You’re going to love them!
- 1 cup (8oz/250g) butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup (10oz/300g) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs , at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (2oz/60g) cocoa powder
- 2 1/4 cups (111/2oz340g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup (4oz/120g) Nutella
- Preheat your oven to 350oF (180oC) and line a baking trey with parchment paper.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs and beat until well-incorporated.
- Next add in all of the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Scoop 2 tablespoons of cookie dough and flatten in the palm of your hand. Place on the baking tray and spoon 2-3 teaspoons of Nutella into the center (careful not to over fill).
- Scoop an additional tablespoon of dough and gently press into a circle. Place this over the first layer of cookie and Nutella ensuring the Nutella is fully covered and the top and bottom layer of the cookie are pressed together, sealing it closed.
- Repeat until all of the cookie dough is used.
- Bake for roughly 12 minutes and allow to cool or 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- These are best enjoyed day-of as that is when the center is most gooey.
- These can be covered and stored in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Take care not to overtake as you want this cookie to be gooey.
SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE
9 ImagesSubmit Your Photos
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.