How to Make the Best Mug Cake Recipe & More!
As a professional chef and baker, you may not think a microwave mug cake recipe would be on my menu, but what I call "micro-baking" is the real deal. I have 100+ mug meals, including the best Chocolate Mug Cake recipes you'll ever enjoy, a delicious Vanilla Mug Cake for any occasion, my world famous Mug Pizza recipe, and my Brownie in a Mug that is the perfect single-serving treat for you to enjoy.
Top Mug Cake Recipe & Mug Meal Secrets:
- How long should I cook my Mug Cake or Meal? Check the wattage (power) on your microwave to determine your exact cook time. My microwave heats at 1200 watts so your mug recipes may take a little more or less time.
- Can you overcook a Mug Cake? Does your mug cake smell or taste like egg or is it rubbery? It shouldn't be! This means you overcooked your mug recipe. Cook it for the time on each recipe, check on it and you can always cook it longer.
- Are there Egg Substitutes for a Mug Cake or Meal? YES! I have an egg substitute chart you can use to enjoy mug cakes egg free!
My Best Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe
Molten Lava Mug Cake is smooth, velvety and insanely good. This quite possibly could be my best Chocolate Mug Cake to date.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup Ghirardelli® 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips
- 1 - 1 ⁄2 teaspoons Ghirardelli Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Ghirardelli® 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips
- Toppings (optional): Vanilla Ice Cream Chocolate Shavings
- Place the butter and chocolate in a microwaveable mug (roughly 1 cup measurement). Microwave until melted, about 30-45 seconds.
- Mix in the cocoa powder, vanilla extract and salt, and stir until smooth.
- In another bowl, using an electric hand mixer or whisk, whip the egg and sugar until thick, roughly 3-4 minutes. It takes a little bit of elbow grease by hand.
- Pour the egg sugar mixture into your microwaveable mug containing your melted chocolate and butter and mix until smooth. Add in your chocolate chips on top and push them into the cake. This will give you your “lava” center. If you don’t want to cook them off straight away, then place them in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
- Microwave for 45-60 seconds. Take care not to overcook as it will dry out your lava cake. (Timing is based on my 1200W microwave so your timing might vary)
- Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Then scoop on your vanilla ice cream and finish with some chocolate shavings.
Watch the Recipe Video!
WW SmartPoints: 23
WW PointsPlus: 14