This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
Celebrate the holidays with my easy Snow Globe Cake. I even made it for the Hallmark Channel during their Christmas in July show!
My easy to recreate Snow Globe Cake features my master recipe for white cake with layers of raspberry preserves, my favorite cream cheese frosting and coconut. It’s definitely a simple yet Bold cake for the holidays!
Get more of my Christmas Recipes so you can celebrate Christmas in July or get ready early for later this year!
Watch The Recipe Video!
Snow Globe Cake
- White Cake
- 2 1/4 cups (11oz/340g) cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup (300ml/10floz) whole milk
- 4 large egg whites , room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup (12oz/360g) sugar
- 1 stick (4oz/120g) butter, room temperature
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 1/2 cups (10oz/300g) powdered sugar, sifted lightly to remove any lumps
- 1 lb (16oz/450g) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (4oz/120g) butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- For Filling and Decoration
- 2/3 cup raspberry preserves
- 1 1/2 cups (4 1/2oz/135g) sweetened shredded or desiccated coconut
- Christmas decorations
- Large glass bowl
- Red ribbon
- Pre-heat your oven to 350°F (180oC) Grease and line a deep 6” cake tin. You can also use 2 x 8" or 9" pans.
- To make the White Cake: In a medium bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a separate jug, combine the milk and egg whites and set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, add the butter and sugar and cream together on medium speed for 4-5 minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Reduce the mixer's speed to slow and add 1/2 of the flour and ½ your milk mix. Mix until just combined into the butter mix. Repeat with the remaining flour and milk. Take care not to over mix as it will toughen your cake.
- Pour the batter into your prepared cake tins. Bake for 60-70 minutes until the centers of the cake is firm and it is golden brown.
- Place the cakes on wire racks to cool. After a few minutes, run a knife around the outside of the pan to release the cake and remove from the pans. Allow to cool right side up until room temperature.
- To make the Cream Cheese Frosting: In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high speed beat powdered sugar, cream cheese, butter and vanilla until it is smooth and creamy. Chill until needed.
- To assemble the cake: Level and divide the layers in your cake with a serrated knife. Spread raspberry and the frosting on the layers of the cake.
- Next do the crumb layer, a thin layer of frosting all around the cake to gather any loose crumbs. Chill the cake until the icing is firm (roughly 30 minutes). Then frost the cake again with the remaining frosting. Smooth the remaining frosting over the cake with an offset spatula until it is level and smooth.
- Sprinkle the coconut over the top of the cake and coat the sides by gently pouring the coconut between your hand and the cake. Carefully move your cake to your serving platter.
- Decorating the Cake: Add your favorite Christmas decorations on top of the cake and place a glass bowl over them to create the snow globe. For an added touch sprinkle some more coconut on top of the bowl and place a red bow on top.
- The cake is best eaten within 2 days. If you need to store it, refrigerate it covered for up to two days, allowing plenty of time to bring it back to room temperature before serving.