This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
Creme Brûlée is a simple yet impressive dessert on its own but some people are afraid to make it. This week, I’ll show you how to make perfect Creme Brûlée every time along with 4 flavor varieties I know you’ll love. So let’s get baking!
Watch The Recipe Video!
Perfect Creme Brûlée 4 Ways!
- Gemma's Creme Brûlée
- 2 cups (full) (500ml/18fl oz) Cream
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- ½ vanilla pod and seeds (if you have one)
- ½ cup (100g/4oz) caster sugar, plus extra for the topping
- 6 free-range egg yolks
- Preheat the oven to 150C/300F
- Pour the cream into a saucepan. Add the vanilla extract. Split the vanilla pod lengthways and scrape the seeds into the cream. (optional, but a nice touch)
- On Medium heat, gently bring the cream to boiling point. Turn off just when it is about to come to a boil. Let it sit to 10 minutes to infuse the vanilla pod for stronger flavor.
- In a separate bowl, beat the sugar and egg yolks together in a large heatproof bowl until well combined.
- Pour the cream over the egg mixture and whisk.
- Strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a large jug, this will remove any bits of vanilla pod and cooked egg.
- Pour your custard into fill 6 ramekins to about two-thirds full.
- Place the ramekins into a large roasting tray and pour in enough hot water to come halfway up their outsides. (This is called a bain-marie.)
- Place the bain-marie onto the centre shelf of the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the custards are just set but still a bit wobbly in the middle.
- NOTE, DEPENDING ON THE SIZE AND HOW DEEP YOUR DISHE IS COOKING TIME MAY BE DIFFERENT, CHECK ON YOUR BRULEE AFTER 25/30 MINUTES
- Remove the ramekins from the water and set aside to cool to room temperature. Chill until needed.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle one level teaspoon of caster sugar evenly over the surface of each crème brûlée, then caramelise with a chefs' blow-torch (if you are lucky enough to have one) Otherwise CAREFULLY brûlée under a hot grill/ broiler. Just for 2 minutes or so until the sugar colors. Don't leave unsupervised or you can curdle your creme brûlée and it will be liquid.
- For the additonal flavors you can add Chocolate in the bottom of your dish, raspberries and dissolved instant coffee. When adding coffee, taste to make sure it is strong enough.