This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
For me Hot Chocolate says Christmas — and my Hot Chocolate Truffles say HAPPY Christmas! I love how people take the time to do something special for their family and friends at this time of year. I like wrapping gifts with pretty ribbons, dropping by to visit friends and family, and sharing lots of meals and holiday baking. This year I created a ton of Holiday Baking Recipes for you and your family to enjoy.
My Hot Chocolate Truffles recipe is one of the best, and a great way to show someone special that you care!
Oh, and you might know it by its other name… the Hot Chocolate Bomb!
Imagine a little chocolate flavor bomb you drop into warm milk whenever friends come around, allowing you to make the most decadent hot chocolate in minutes! Well, these Hot Chocolate Truffles are just that. They look like a chocolate truffle and can be enjoyed by themselves, but they are also the base to a super-rich and indulgent holiday hot chocolate.
My Hot Chocolate Bomb recipe is going to be one you make every single winter from now on!
How To Make Hot Chocolate Bombs
These Hot Chocolate Truffles start with basic Chocolate Ganache. (Ganache is super handy, check out these 3 Ways to use Chocolate Ganache). First, you melt together good quality chocolate and cream, then you pop it into the fridge to set. After about an hour you scoop your truffles out and roll them in your coating of choice.
Hot Chocolate Bomb Toppings
The creative finish is to roll each Hot Chocolate Truffle in the topping of your choice. If you like a peppermint hot chocolate, roll your truffle in crushed peppermint candies. If you like marshmallows in your cocoa just roll your truffles in mini marshmallows. It really is that easy. You keep these perfect little Hot Chocolate Truffles in the fridge and whenever you want that extra special holiday drink, just pop these into a mug of hot milk.
Holiday Baking Headquarters
Have you seen my Holiday Baking Headquarters page? There you will find every recipe you could possibly need for the Holidays including Easy Sugar Cookies, my Last Minute Christmas Pudding, and more edible gifts!
Watch The Recipe Video!
Hot Chocolate Truffles Recipe (Hot Chocolate Bomb)
- 2 cups (12oz/340g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup (8floz/225ml) cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Optional Toppings:
- Cocoa powder
- Crushed peppermint candy
- Mini chocolate chips
- Mini Marshmallows
- Place all ingredients in a pot and melt together on low heat. Stir to combine.
- Let ganache mixture cool down at room temperature for roughly 2-3 hours then chill it in the fridge until stiff enough to scoop but not too hard.
- Make small scoops, about 2 tablespoons each. Place on a baking tray in the freezer for one hour.
- Remove scoops from the freezer and roll into balls.
- Roll in your choice of topping: Crushed peppermint candy, cocoa powder, cinnamon, mini marshmallows (If you try the mini marshmallows, you really have to push the marshmallows into the chocolate balls).
- Store the truffles in a container at room temperature or in the fridge. Either is fine. They will keep fresh for 1 week at room temperature and 4 weeks in the fridge.
- When ready, drop chocolate balls into 1 ½ cups of hot milk and stir!