This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
Crispy, crunchy, and chocolatey — while two of these words aren’t typically used to describe a perfect brownie, brownie brittle is all three… and, on top of that, super addicting.
Traditional brownies like my Perfect Skillet Brownies are, of course, a classic dessert. But brownie brittle, a new snack-aisle favorite, was never really on my radar. Until now! And I hope you join the bandwagon because this rich and fudgy homemade brownie brittle recipe is another Big & Bold creative way to enjoy brownies!
We all know and love someone who would gladly arm wrestle for the corners of a brownie batch. Thankfully to save our family unity, this recipe makes the entire batch that perfect crispy and crunchy texture! You’ll notice that I didn’t include my tried and true ingredient to make a brownie moist, the dark brown sugar used in my Best-Ever Brownie Recipe, in this unique brownie take.
Best of all, while there are other recipes online that use store-bought brownie mix to create this new snack favorite, I’ll show you how to easily create brownie brittle from scratch!
What You Need To Make Brownie Brittle
You should never be intimidated to try baking one of your favorite store-bought treats! For brownie brittle, you won’t need any special tools. Just make sure you have:
- An 11″ x 17″ cookie sheet
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Metal whisk
- A microwave
- A microwavable bowl
- An oven
How To Make Brownie Brittle
These crispy brownies, when broken in half, give an incredibly satisfying snap. Turns out, they’re also a snap to make!
Here’s how you make it (and don’t forget to get the full recipe with measurements, down below):
- Combine sugar, bittersweet chocolate, and water in a microwavable bowl. Gently microwave for 2 minutes, or until the chocolate has melted. Set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, whisk in eggs, oil, and vanilla until smooth.
- Over the chocolate mix, sift in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Fold in the dry ingredients until there are no more streaks of flour.
- Pour mixture onto a buttered and lined 11″ x 17″ cookie sheet. Bake at 350°F (180°C) ROUGHLY 30-40 minutes OR until firm to the touch.
- After letting the brownie brittle cool and harden, break into big and small pieces to enjoy!
Gemma’s Pro Tips For Making Brownie Brittle
- Spread the batter very thin on the cookie sheet.
- Don’t be worried if your brownie brittle seems too moist. Once it cools completely, it will crisp and harden.
- If you don’t eat eggs, then replace them with a flax egg. For more info, check out my 7 Best Egg Substitutes in Baking Chart!
- Hazelnuts or pecans would make a great substitute for walnuts.
- Need a kid-friendly version? Swap out the bittersweet chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate chips with milk chocolate!
- Don’t have a sifter? No problem. Use a fine-mesh strainer to tap dry ingredients through to remove any lumps. If there’s no strainer in sight either, a whisk or fork will work as well.
How To Store Brownie Brittle
Brownie brittle can be stored in an airtight container for up to 10 days at room temperature.
Between us, you remember how I mentioned that they were super addicting? I may or may not but definitely did finish the entire batch!
Make More Brownies!
- Gemma’s Best-Ever Brownies
- Ultimate Cream Cheese Brownies
- The Perfect Skillet Brownies
- Simple Stovetop Brownies
And don’t forget to buy my Bigger Bolder Baking Cookbook!
Full (and printable) recipe below the video!
Watch The Recipe Video!
How to Make Brownie Brittle Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups (10oz/282g) sugar
- 1/3 cup (2oz/57g) bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup (2floz/57ml) water
- 2 eggs*, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (4floz/115ml) flavorless oil (sunflower, canola, veg)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (3 3/4oz/105g) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (1 1/3oz/37g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (3oz/85g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and butter and line an 11" x 17" cookie sheet. Set aside.
- In a medium microwavable bowl, combine the sugar, bittersweet chocolate, and water. Gently microwave for roughly 2 minutes or until the chocolate has melted. Set aside to cool.
- Into the cooled chocolate mixture whisk in the eggs, oil, and vanilla until smooth.
- Over the chocolate mix, sieve in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Fold in the dry ingredients until there are no more streaks of flour.
- Pour the batter onto your prepared cookie sheet and smooth it into a thin layer all the way to the edges. Generously scatter over chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Bake for ROUGHLY 30-40 minutes OR until firm to the touch. Once the brittle cools completely it will crips and harden.
- When cold, break the brownie brittle into big and small pieces. Enjoy by itself or alongside a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.
- Store the brownie brittle at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 10 days.