This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
Now, I know the internet is full of “Best Ever” claims and “the ultimate” recipes but this really is the be-all and end-all fudge brownies recipe! Read the thousands of reviews on this recipe like:
“These brownies were extremely easy to make and tasted like I spent hours in the kitchen.” -Susiebakesalot
“Even better that the best bakery in our neighborhood. Thank you so much for this precise recipe.” -Neha P.
My Best-Ever Brownies recipe is chef-tested for over 15 years, and has been recreated and enjoyed by thousands of Bold Bakers just like you–just check out the photos submitted by the community further below. Follow my recipe and techniques and you’ll have your new go-to best brownie recipe with a rich chocolate flavor.
And, if you’re looking for twists on this recipe, look no further — try my Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies, Decadent Caramel Brownies, Skillet Brownies, Cream Cheese Brownies, the Chewy Brownies of Your Dreams, and more!
What Ingredients Do You Need For A Homemade Brownies Recipe?
In my recipe, I’m all about that crisp crackly top, ooey-gooey fudge-like center, studded with chunks of molten chocolate and that’s exactly what you’ll get here! These Best Ever Brownies really live up to their name as they feature:
- High-quality unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted so you don’t have any lumps in your batter.
- Both white sugar and brown sugar.
- Flavorless oil, which makes them moist and fudgy.
- Eggs, but you can always use my egg substitute chart for brownies.
- All-purpose flour, but you can substitute gluten-free all-purpose flour or almond flour 1:1.
- And more than a cup of rich bittersweet chocolate chunks (ideally chocolate with 72% cocoa solids or more for a nice balance of bitter and sweet).
Do Brownies Need A Leavening Agent?
For the perfect fudgy brownie, you will not need baking powder or baking soda. Leavening agents make for more of a cakey texture and these brownies are all fudge!
What Makes A Brownies Recipe Chewier?
Using oil is a key factor but isn’t the only factor to a chewy brownie. Using dark brown sugar helps create that texture also. That and baking them for just the right amount of time will give you the result you are looking for.
Why Do Brownies Have A Flaky Top?
If you’re looking for that flaky, crinkle-top brownie, I have perfected the method. Wanna know the secret? Make my Crinkle Top Brownies!
What You Need To Make Batches Of Brownies From Scratch
How To Make Brownies
Are you ready to learn how to make brownies, and never need to find another brownies recipe ever again? This is how you make my easy brownies (and don’t forget to get the full recipe with measurements, on the page down below):
- Preheat the oven! Set aside a parchment paper-lined baking tray.
- Mixing time: In a large bowl, combine melted butter, oil, and both sugars before whisking in eggs, vanilla, and salt.
- Sift in the flour and cocoa powder. Fold the dry ingredients (including half of the chocolate chunks) into the wet ingredients.
- Batter up. Pour the batter into the tray and top with remaining chocolate chunks.
- It’s time to throw your batter into the oven. Bake for roughly 35-40 minutes, until the center of the brownie no longer jiggles.
- Remove the batter from the oven. After they’re removed from the oven, make sure the brownies are at room temperature before taking that sweet, chocolaty first bite.
5 Pro Chefs Secrets To The Perfect Brownie Recipe
- Brown sugar is a key ingredient! It makes the brownies moister, more flavorful, and makes for a more fudgy final product. You can easily make your own brown sugar at home.
- Use a good quality unsweetened cocoa powder for your brownies for the ultimate decadent brownie. Please do not use hot chocolate powder
- Use bittersweet chocolate (70%) chunks! This will make sure they’re extra rich.
- Don’t forget to season your brownies. Salt and Vanilla are key ingredients in brownies adding extra flavor and dimension. Please don’t leave them out.
- Be careful not to over-bake! You know when your brownies are perfectly cooked when they’re firm around the edges but they’re still soft to the touch in the middle. After baking, let your brownie relax at room temperature for best results. Factor in that they continue to set once they comes out of the oven.
- Watch the 5 Pro Chef Secrets video to see the tips in action!
Try These Brownie Recipes:
- The Chewy Brownies of Your Dreams
- Gemma’s Better Than Boxed Brownies Mix
- Chewy Mochi Brownies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies
- Decadent Caramel Brownies
- Skillet Brownies
- Cream Cheese Brownies
- Microwave Mug Brownie
- Vegan Brownies
- Best-Ever Blondies
And don’t miss my New Bigger Bolder Baking Every Day Cookbook available now!
Full (and printable) recipe below!
Watch The Recipe Video!
Gemma's Best Ever Brownie Recipe
- 1 cup (8oz/225g) butter (melted and cooled)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (coconut or canola)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (6 1/4oz/177g) brown sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (8 1/4oz/227g) white sugar
- 4 large eggs , room temperature
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (5oz/142g) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (4oz/115g) unsweetened cocoa powder (good quality)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups (9oz/255g) roughly chopped chocolate or large chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) then line a 7x11 inch baking tray with parchment paper and set it aside.
- In a large bowl combine melted butter, oil, and both sugars.
- Add the eggs, vanilla and salt then whisk for about one minute until evenly combined and light in color.
- Over the same bowl sift in the flour and cocoa powder. Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until JUST combined (do NOT over mix). Fold in half of the chocolate chunks.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, then smooth the top. Generously top with the remaining chocolate chunks.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the center of the brownies no longer jiggles and is JUST set to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature before removing from the baking tray and slicing into 16 brownies. Enjoy!