Hi Bold Bakers!
Some of my favorite Ice Cream flavors are ones that surprise my mouth and include exotic ingredients! If you are like me and you love to try new things you’ll love my recipe for Kulfi Indian Ice Cream! Kulfi is a traditional indian ice cream that can be flavored with lots of different unusual spices, nuts and fruits. I have had Kulfi flavored with rose, mango, saffron and orange, which is so refreshing and elegant! All Kulfi is usually characterized by being extra thick and rich, far more dense in flavor than American or English ice creams. With this in mind I really wanted to create a unique Indian inspired flavor that would capture the unusual flavor and texture of a traditional Kulfi!
First off, have you tried my Two Ingredient, Homemade Ice Cream without a Machine recipe? You simply whip up cream and condensed milk to create this amazing ice cream base without the need for an ice cream machine. You know that saying, “If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is…?” Well, in this case, it is that simple and it tastes that good. I have made almost 100 flavors from this two ingredient base including Lemon Meringue Pie, Mint Chocolate Chip and even my favorite flavors of Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream. You can probably tell by now that is a very versatile Ice Cream.
After trying a few different flavor combinations I decided on a pistachio and cardamom Kulfi! Pistachios are buttery in texture with a nutty earthy flavor. Cardamom is floral and spicy, one of my personal favorite spices to add to both sweet and savory dishes. I could have done just a pistachio Kulif recipe or just a cardamon Kulfi recipe… But the two flavors together are heaven. This flavor is perfectly balanced, extremely rich while being totally unique in flavor. Next time you want to take a mini trip to India or really impress your friends I suggest you give this recipe a go!
Get more No Machine Homemade Ice Cream flavors from around the world including Green Tea, Banoffee Pie, Neapolitan and Tiramisu.
- 14 oz (1 Can/ 400ml) sweetened condensed milk (fat-free or regular), cold
- 2 cups (16oz/450 ml ) whipping cream, cold
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups (10oz/300g) shelled pistachios, ground
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 pinch saffron
- Put your saffron threads in a small bowls with 1 tablespoon on warm water to infuse. Once infused set aside to cool fully.
- Place sweetened condensed milk in the fridge to keep cold.
- Beat cold heavy cream on medium in a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or using a hand mixer) until stiff peaks form.
- Turn down the speed a little and pour the condensed milk into the whipped cream. (Stir in vanilla extract now if desired).
- Then, turn up the machine speed again and whip until your mixture is thick and to stiff peaks.
- Now you have your ice cream base add in your ground pistachios, cardamon & saffron infused liquid. Mix on medium speed until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Transfer your ice cream to a large resealable container and freeze at least 6 hours or overnight before scooping and serving.
SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE
1 ImagesSubmit Your Photos
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.