This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
Growing up in Ireland, we love our sweet scones, but it wasn’t until I arrived in America that I tasted the soft, buttery goodness that is a biscuit. Biscuits are the quintessential homemade bread roll and an American Classic. My homemade biscuits contain no yeast, and are whipped up in minutes.
Considering how delightfully delicious and fragrant my biscuits are, they are also quick and easy to prepare. Even after years as a pastry chef, I’m still amazing at what you can whip up with a few simple ingredients. That said, there are a few tricks to making my Best-Ever Buttermilk Biscuits, and I am here to share my top tips with you so you can wow your family and friends.
The Secrets to My Biscuits Recipe
- My first secret to making the Best-Ever Buttermilk Biscuits Recipe is in how you add the butter. All biscuit recipes require cutting cold butter into the flour to form a sandy texture. While this is usually done by hand, I do it by grating in frozen butter with a box grater. This ensures the butter is evenly distributed and stays cold in the dough.
- The second secret to my Best-Ever Biscuits Recipe is in the folding of the dough. After I bring the dough together and roll it out, I fold it in thirds, like a letter, then re-roll. This creates all those lovely layers of flaky dough, which for me, is an absolute biscuit requirement. After this, I cut out the biscuits using Sweet Creations Nested Round Cutters for the perfect shape and depth.
- Tip! When you go to cut out your biscuits, do not press and turn with the cutter! That will create an wonky biscuit. Make sure you press, then pull back straight up for the perfect biscuit shapes.
- Tip! When applying the egg wash to the top of the biscuits to get that amazing golden-brown, only apply the egg wash to the TOP of the biscuit! Do not let it run down the sides, as this will pull down the sides, also leading to an uneven look.
Bake for just 25 minutes in a hot oven and prepare for the oohs and aahs as the heavenly smell wafts around your kitchen. When baked they will be tall and golden on the outside, with a light, fluffy interior. Once you make my Best-Ever Buttermilk Biscuits Recipe from scratch you will not go back to store bought. These will surely become one of your favorite savory things to bake and a family favorite.
Use these recipes to make your biscuits or enjoy with them:
Please follow Bigger Bolder Baking on Pinterest!
Watch The Recipe Video!
Best-Ever Buttermilk Biscuits Recipe
- 4 cups (1lb 4oz/600g) all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8oz/240g) butter, frozen
- 1 1/2 cup (12oz/340ml) buttermilk
- 1 egg* , beaten
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Using a box grater, grate in the frozen butter. This will ensure it is evenly distributed and create a super flaky texture.
- Add the buttermilk and mix by hand until just combined. The mix will be dry but just keep forming it. (See video for a detailed look.)
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a rectangle that is about 6 x 9 inches. Fold each side of the dough over to the middle (like you're folding a letter) and pat out again to about 6 x 9 inches ( this will create all those flaky layers).
- Cut biscuits out of the dough using a biscuit cutter and brush the tops with egg wash.
- Place on prepared baking sheet and bake 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- To store put in an airtight container. These will keep for up to 3 days.