Hi Bold Bakers!
My Best-Ever Hot Chocolate is made on pure chocolate–not cocoa powder and dried milk but rich bittersweet chocolate and creamy milk. You know when you drink a thick, rich hot chocolate and wonder how they make it? This is that recipe. The secret is REAL dark chocolate. This Hot Chocolate has so much depth and richness from lovely dark chocolate. For best results always use good quality chocolate with around 72% cocoa solids.
I cannot go through the holiday season without drinking my fair share of Hot Chocolate. I usually make a pit stop at Starbucks for a Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate when I’m out and about shopping but there is nothing like making your own at home, hence my Best-Ever Hot Chocolate recipe.
The beauty of Hot Chocolate is that it welcomes additions; they just make it better. Marshmallows are a given, of course, but get creative and top it with my Frozen Whipped Cream. What is that? It is exactly what it says it is, sweet whipped cream that has been frozen. Cut it out into festive shapes and you have the perfect accompaniment to your thick Hot Chocolate. It slowly melts to create a fluffy, creamy layer on top.
Place my Peppermint Candy Spoons on the side of your mug and use it as a stirrer and you get a lovely hint of mint as it melts, which is a perfect combination with the chocolate.
Get more Holiday Cookies and baking tips and tricks at my Holiday Baking Headquarters page.
- 1⅓ cup (8 oz/240g) bittersweet chocolate (72% cocoa solids)
- 3½ cups (28floz/840ml) milk
- 1 cup (8floz/240ml) pouring cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract, optional
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan bring the cream, milk and chocolate to a simmer. As it starts to bubble whisk it and watch it thicken.
- pull it off the heat. If you would like to add in vanilla extract you can do that now.
- Taste. If you would like t a little sweeter add in some white sugar, or your choice of alternative.
- Serve hot with frozen whipped cream or marshmallows.
SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE
5 ImagesSubmit Your Photos
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.