This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
My homemade chocolate cake with rum-soaked prunes is the perfect no-fuss dessert that tastes like something you’d only be able to order at the fanciest restaurants.
The dense and deeply dark chocolate cake is brought alive by the sweet prunes, and tell me after your first bite how you felt! Because I had to take a few seconds to savor my first forkful! I was totally blissed out!
Please don’t scrunch your nose up at the inclusion of prunes either! They’re just dried plums! Have you ever just eaten a prune? They’re so sweet and wonderfully chewy, I’m sure you’ll be snacking on a few while you’re baking this! If you’re still not convinced — you won’t even be able to tell there are prunes in this recipe; they blend so perfectly with the chocolate. Plus, those rum-soaked treats keep this cake super moist — and they’re good for you!
What Is Chocolate Cake With Rum-Soaked Prunes?
This is a very dense and satisfying chocolate cake made with bittersweet chocolate. To help offset it being too rich and too dense to enjoy more than one bite, sweet rum-soaked prunes are added to the batter.
What You Need To Make Chocolate Cake With Rum-Soaked Prunes
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 8-inch (20cm) round cake pan
- Parchment paper
- Small pots or microwave-safe bowls
- Mixing bowl
How Do You Make Chocolate Cake With Rum-Soaked Prunes?
This recipe is incredibly delicious, and it freezes perfectly for up to 2 months, should any unexpected guests pop up (or an unexpected craving!) Here is how you make a chocolate cake with rum-soaked prunes (and don’t forget to get the full recipe with measurements, on the page down below):
- Butter an 8-inch (20cm) round cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Either in a small pot over the stove or if you are using a microwave a microwave-safe bowl, combine the prunes and rum and heat them until the rum is steaming. Cover the pot/bowl to prevent evaporation and set it aside.
- In another small pot (or, again, microwave-safe bowl), melt the chocolate and butter together and then let it cool.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, yolks, sugar, cinnamon, and cardamom until they become creamy.
- Once the chocolate and butter mixture and the prune and rum mixtures are cool, beat them into the egg mixture. Then, fold in the flour until it is just fully combined. Spread the batter evenly into your prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Check to see if the cake is done by inserting a knife into the center. It should have just some moist crumbs still attached — it may seem slightly underdone, but it is just a moist cake!
- Allow the cake to cool for about 30 minutes before serving warm with Homemade Whipped Cream or vanilla ice cream.
Gemma’s Pro Chef Tips For Making Chocolate Cake With Rum-Soaked Prunes
- This cake is best when it is served warm and while the center is still moist! If it has cooled before you have served it, warm up slices in the microwave or the oven just before serving.
- In France, prunes and Armagnac are a classic combination. If you have Armagnac on hand, try using that instead of rum!
- You can make this recipe without alcohol! Simply replace the rum with an equal amount of water.
- You can decorate the cake with a simple dusting of powdered sugar or a drizzle of Homemade Ganache.
- Homemade Whipped Cream is so easy to make and is delicious with this cake!
How Do I Store Leftover Chocolate Cake With Rum-Soaked Prunes?
You can keep leftover chocolate cake with prunes in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days. You can also store this cake in the freezer for up to 2 months!
Make More Cake Recipes!
- Citrus Olive Oil Cake
- Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake
- Best-Ever Chocolate Cake with Whipped Dark Chocolate Ganache
And don’t forget to buy my Bigger Bolder Baking Cookbook!
Full (and printable) recipe below!
Warm Chocolate Cake with Rum-Soaked Prunes Recipe
- 1 ½ cups (7½oz/213g) pitted prunes finely chopped
- ½ cup (4floz/115ml) dark rum
- 2 ⅓ cups (14oz/397g) bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 1 ⅓ cups (10½oz/296g) butter diced
- 4 large eggs
- 6 large egg yolks
- ½ cup (4oz/115g) granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 ½ cups (7½oz/213g) all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter an 8-inch (20cm) round cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a small pot over the stove in a microwave-safe bowl, combine the prunes and rum and heat until the rum is steaming. Cover to prevent evaporation and set aside.
- In another small pot over the stove or in the microwave, melt the chocolate and butter together. Let cool.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, yolks, sugar, cinnamon, and cardamom together until creamy.
- Once cooled, beat the rum and chocolate mixtures into the eggs, then fold in the flour until just fully combined. Spread the batter evenly into the cake pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Remove when a knife inserted into the center still has some moist crumbs attached. It may seem slightly underdone.
- Let cool for about 30 minutes. Serve warm with some Homemade Whipped Cream or vanilla ice cream.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days. For longer storage, freeze for up to 2 months.