Hi Bold Bakers!
Potato Chips are one of the world’s most popular snacks. With their salty deliciousness they are what I consider a guilty pleasure. So I thought why not change that up and take away a bit of the guilt? So we are going to make our very own Microwave Potato Chips! Yes, you read that right. And just in case you are wondering, these potato chips come out beautifully crispy and crunchy just like store bought, except ours contain all natural ingredients.
To make Potato Chips, you thinly slice Potatoes with a chopping knife (you can use a serrated knife if that’s the only one you have).
Plunge the thinly sliced potato into an ice bath. This washes away the starch and helps the chips crisp once cooked.
Pat the potato slices dry and lay them in a single layer on a plate lined with parchment paper. Brush both sides of each slice with some olive oil and sprinkle over some salt.
Microwave for a few minutes then flip over and microwave again until crisp and golden.
What did I tell you? The photos don’t lie. Beautifully cooked, crunchy Potato Chips made in the Microwave. Now just make them yourselves and spread the word.
- 2 medium sized potatoes (Russet, or any type you like)
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ice water
- BBQ Flavor
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- Ranch Flavor
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Rinse potatoes, scrubbing any dirt off skin. Peel if desired, but I like chips with the skins on.
- Thinly slice your potatoes using a knife. The thinner, the better, so you want to slice thinly enough that you are almost shaving the potato; so thin they are transparent. Slices should be between ⅛ - 1/16 inch thick.
- Immediately place slices in ice water. This helps to remove the starch and create crispy chips with those delicious air pockets.
- Dry both sides well on a kitchen towel or paper towel. The dryer they are the better they will crisp.
- Line a plate with a piece of parchment paper. Lay the potato slices out so they aren't touching. Brush with a little olive oil, then sprinkle with salt.
- Microwave on high for roughly 1.30- 2.30 minutes on one side, and then roughly 1 - 2 minutes on the other side or until golden brown. Timing may vary based on your microwave. You will know when they are done as they will crisp and turn a toasted brown color.
- Sprinkles the finished potato chips with salt and enjoy
- BBQ flavor : In a freezer bag or bowl combine the paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and chili powder. Sprinkle mix over finished potato chips
- Ranch flavor : In a freezer bag or bowl combine all of the ingredients. Sprinkle mix over finished potato chips
- If not eating straight away, then store in an airtight container or plastic bag. Transfer chips to a bowl, then repeat with the remaining slices. And enjoy!
Try different kinds of potatoes. Golden and red potatoes crisp up nicely also.
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.