This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
This week, I show you how to make Homemade S’mores including Graham Crackers and Marshmallows from scratch! Then we assemble them into the ultimate gooey S’more treat.
Get more recipes:
Watch The Recipe Video!
Homemade S'mores (How to Make Graham Crackers & Marshmallows)
For the Graham Crackers:
- 2 cups (10oz/284g) whole wheat flour
- 1 cup (6oz/170g) light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons (3 1/2oz/100g) butter, cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup (3oz/85g) honey
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Marshmallows:
- 3 packages (6 tsp) unflavored powdered gelatin
- 1 cup (8oz/ 225g) warm water, divided
- 1 ½ cup (12 oz) granulated sugar, approximately
- 1 cup (8 oz) light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (35g/ 1 1/4oz) confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup (35g/ 1 1/4oz) cornstarch
- Good quality Chocolate
For the Graham crackers
- Mix all the dry ingredients in the food processor.
- Add the butter to the dry ingredients and pulse in food processor (you can do this by hand also) until the mixture looks like coarse breadcrumbs.
- In a separate jug, whisk the milk, honey and vanilla.
- Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture until a dough forms, about 30 seconds. The dough will be sticky. Knead it together lightly on a floured surface
- Wrap in plastic and chill for at least 30 minutes, or overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a little more ¼ cm, not too thin. Cut out the dough into square. You may experiment with the thickness of the dough to suit you.
- Bake the dough for roughly 10-12 minutes @ 350OF
- I like to bake them for 10 minutes so they are still soft and not crunchy.
For the Marshmallows:
- Place the gelatin into the bowl of a stand mixer along with 1/2 cup of the water. Have the whisk attachment standing by.
- In a small saucepan combine the remaining 1/2 cup water, granulated sugar, corn syrup and salt. Place over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Do not let it boil at this stage.
- Clip a candy thermometer onto the side of the pan and continue to cook until the mixture reaches 240 degrees F, roughly 8 to 10 minutes, maybe more.
- Once the mixture reaches this temperature, immediately remove from the heat.
- Turn the mixer on low speed and, while running, slowly pour the sugar syrup down the side of the bowl into the gelatin mixture. Once you have added all of the syrup, increase the speed to high. Continue to whip until the mixture becomes very thick and is lukewarm when you touch the bottom of the bowl, approximately 12 to 14 minutes. Add the vanilla during the last minute of whipping. While the mixture is whipping prepare the pans as follows.
- Combine the confectioners' sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl. Lightly grease a 7 by 11-inch metal baking pan with flavorless oil. Sift the sugar and cornstarch mixture and move around to completely coat the bottom and sides of the pan. Return the remaining mixture to the bowl for later use.
- Grease a spatula, and even your hands, believe me this is sticky stuff.
- When the marshmallow are ready, work QUICKLY and scrape the mixture into the prepared pan, using your spatula for spreading evenly into the pan. Dust the top with enough of the remaining sugar and cornstarch mixture to lightly cover. Reserve the rest for later. Allow the marshmallows to sit uncovered for at least 4 hours and up to overnight.
- Turn the marshmallows out onto a cutting board and cut a little smaller then your graham cracker using a pizza wheel or lightly oiled knife. Once cut, lightly dust all sides of each marshmallow with the remaining mixture, using additional if necessary. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
To assemble your S'more:
- On one side of a Graham Cracker place a square of good quality chocolate.
- Toast your Marshmallow slowly over an open flame, turning it to get an all over color. (you can also use the oven) When soft sandwich between the graham crackers.
- Enjoy while still warm. YUM!