This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
I’m Gemma Stafford, a professionally trained chef from Ireland. I want to show you how to create over-the-top sweet and savory recipes that are sure to impress. My first recipe is an out of this world RAINBOW CAKE that is as beautiful as it is delicious. I know what you’re thinking…Rainbows. Irish. Yes, there’s definitely a pot of gold at the end of this recipe so watch and find out how to begin boldly baking outside of the boxed cake!
Watch The Recipe Video!
- Amazing Rainbow Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 2/3 Cups all purpose flour (or cake flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 Cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 Cup light brown sugar
- 1 Cup unsalted butter , melted
- 2 Large egg
- 1/2 Cup yogurt plain or sour cream
- 1 1/2 Cup Buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Food dye (Good quality and concentrated) red, yellow, orange, violet, blue and green
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 lb cream cheese (at room temperature for easy creaming)
- 1 stick (1/2 Cup) salted butter (at room temperature)
- 2 1/2 Cups powdered sugar , sifted
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Grease and line a 10 inch springform or baking pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix together all the dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, baking soda, both sugars and salt.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter in the microwave and set aside.
- In a jug ,Whisk in the wet ingredients minus the butter- egg, yogurt, buttermilk, and vanilla extract until combined.
- Slowly mix the wet ingredients into the dry. Towards the end of mixing in the melted butter. The batter will be thick. Do not beat or over mix as this will toughen your cake.
- Divide the batter into 6 bowls. Add a generous drop of food dye to each bowl. Mix until you have reached your desired color. Try to add enough at the start to avoid over mixing your cake batter.
- Now for the fun part- Spoon the batter into prepared cake pan, alternating the color. Lay the colors over each other to create a beautiful marbled effect in the end cake.
- Bake for 1hr 10- 1hr 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. This is a thick cake so it will take some time.
- To make the frosting, beat cream cheese on medium speed with an electric or stand mixer.Add in Butter and beat for 4 minutes until smooth and creamy. Add in the sift powdered sugar spoonful by spoonful and vanilla extract with the mixer running, for 4 minutes roughly.
- Frost cooled cake as desired. There may be leftover frosting depending how much you wish to use. Cover cake and store at room temperature for up to 7 days.