This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
This week, I am delighted to get out into my garden for this episode because we are barbecuing!
I have some really fun, easy recipes for 3 Summer Desserts that you probably didn’t know could be cooked on a BBQ. They don’t require a lot of preparation, only a few ingredients and they are perfect for the whole family.
1. GRILLED CHOCOLATE BROWNIES IN AN ORANGE
I get a lot of inspiration from Pinterest so when I stumbled upon our first recipe I knew it would be perfect because it is definitely BIG & BOLD!
The orange is fragrant and infuses the brownie as it bakes. The moisture from the orange yields an incredibly moist, soft cake. It’s definitely worth trying this out.
Grilled Chocolate Brownies in Oranges
- 1 ¾ cups (15oz/427g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 16 ½ oz (465g) dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 ½ cup (12oz/337g) unsalted butter
- 2 ¼ cups (18oz/ 510g) granulated sugar
- ¾ cups (6oz/168g) packed light brown sugar
- 7 eggs at room temperature
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 oranges
- To make the Brownies: Put the chocolate and butter in a large bowl and set it over a saucepan of simmering water or place in the microwave. Stirring occasionally, until the chocolate and butter are completely melted and smooth.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool a little.
- Add the sugars. Whisk until completely combined. The mixture should be room temperature.
- Whisk the eggs and vanilla in a jug together.
- Add a little of the eggs to the chocolate mixture and whisk until combined. Add the remaining eggs and whisk until combined. Do not overbeat the batter at this stage or your brownies will be cakey.
- Sift the flour, salt and cocoa over the chocolate mixture. Using a rubber spatula (not a whisk), fold the flour mixture into the chocolate until just a bit of the flour mixture is visible. Set aside.
- To prepare your oranges: Carefully takes a seated knife and take out the center of the orange.
- Once you take a bit out you can go in with a spoon and scoop the rest out. You don't have to take out all of the pulp.
- Pour the batter into your orange 3/4 of the way. Place it's lid on and wrap in tin foil
- Place directly on the grills on medium heat (350oF/180oC) and bake for roughly 35-45 minutes.
- Enjoy straight away with Vanilla ice cream.
2. FRUIT KEBABS
This next dessert only requires simple ingredients and assembly but it packs a big flavor punch.
I’m using strawberries and pound cake but you can use any fruit and cake you’d like.
- 1 loaf (shortcake,sponge cake, brioche, angel food cake)
- 1 lb pkg strawberries , washed
- 8 wooden skewers
- Soak your wooden skewers in water for at least 2 hours. This prevents them from burning on the grill. Preheat grill, medium high setting(roughly 300oF/150oC)
- Cut the cake into 2 inch cubes
- Take the hull out of the strawberries
- Thread alternating strawberries and cake on each wooden skewer.
- Place on the grill and cook for roughly 4-5 minutes, rotating them during the cooking. They are done when the cake is toasted.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream
3. ROASTED BANANA SPLIT
I saved this dessert until last because it is my absolute favorite dessert to make on a bbq. Growing up, when we would have barbecues we would throw bananas on the grill after all of the food was cooked. They get lovely and roasted and all the natural sugars come out and give you nature’s sweet dessert!
- Whole Bananas
- Vanilla ice cream
- Your favorite ice cream sauce (Caramel sauce, chocolate, strawberry)
- toasted almonds
- Heat a grill to about 300 degrees or as the BBQ is cooling down or dying out.
- Put the banana in their skin straight on the bars. Close down the lid and grill for 10 minutes on each side. They will turn black on the skin and that is exactly what you want to happen.
- Using a knife, cut out a small strip of peel from the top of your banana, leaving one end intact. Pull back the strip, and use a knife or spoon to carve a shallow "canyon" down the center of your banana.
- Fill with ice cream and space and enjoy straight away!
Watch The Recipe Video!
This Recipe Made By Bold Bakers
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, a cookbook author, and the creator of Bigger Bolder Baking. I want to help you bake with confidence anytime, anywhere with my trusted and tested recipes and baking tips. You may have seen one of my 500+ videos on YouTube & TikTok or as a guest judge on Nailed It! on Netflix or the Best Baker in America on Food Network. No matter your skills, my Bold Baking Team & I want to be your #1 go-to baking authority.