Hi Bold Bakers!
Scones were an essential part of my life growing up in Ireland. Anytime you’d drop by a friend or family member’s house, you’d have a hot cup of tea and freshly baked scones ready for you. When I started baking, this was one of my first recipes and it’s essential one for any Bold Baker. I’ll show you all of my best tips and tricks to making perfect buttery scones every time. And don’t forget the jam and cream to make them extra Big & Bold!
Plus, don’t miss my mum’s Traditional Irish Soda Bread recipe, which is a lovely quick bread that you can make in no time!
- 3 ½ cups (1 lb/ 16oz ) Flour (all purpose/plain)
- 5 level tsp Baking powder
- 1 Generous pinch Of salt
- ¼ cup (2 oz/60g) white sugar
- 1 stick (4 oz/ 125g) cold salted Butter,
- 1 Whole egg
- 2 oz Double cream
- 7 oz whole milk
- Milk to glaze
- In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients together
- Rub in the cold butter with your fingers until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- If adding dried fruit eg. Raisins, berries, citrus rind, chocolate chips add them now before you add liquid
- Mix your egg with the milk and cream and pour into your flour mix (if you don’t have cream you can use only milk)
- With an open hand mix loosely your scone mix until your dough forms. The bowl should be clean from the dough
- Turn your dough onto a floured work surface
- Knead lightly to give your dough a smooth surface
- Pat your dough down with your hand until around 1 inches thick
- With a scone cutter cut out your lovely little scones. You will have around 12
- Put on a baking tray, glaze the tops of your scones with some milk to give them a golden top when baked
- Bake at 350oF (18OoC) for 35 minutes.
- Enjoy with Irish butter, jam and freshly whipped cream. Scones are best eaten the day they are baked but the next day you can pop them back in the oven to freshen them up again.
SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE
35 ImagesSubmit Your Photos
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.