This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
With the lovely summer weather, requests have been pouring in for ice cream cakes. I’m using my No Machine Homemade Ice Cream combined with my favorite Banana Bread recipe to make a Banana Split Ice Cream Cake!
Many of you have asked me to share my favorite banana bread recipe which I am excited to do today. I have used this recipe my entire professional career and it comes from the famous Avoca Handweavers Cafe in Wicklow, Ireland.
This recipe is a really fun idea for a kids party this summer and even for a birthday cake!
I got the inspiration from a pin I saw on Pinterest.
It is hard to go wrong with an ice cream cake. You already know you are in for a treat, but a Banana Spilt Ice Cream Cake?! Well, that’s just BIG & BOLD!
Watch The Recipe Video!
Banana Split Ice Cream Cake
- 1 ¾ cups/ 225g/ 8 oz all purpose flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 ½ tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- ½ cup/115g/ 4 oz sugar
- 1 Egg
- ⅓ cup (3 floz) flavorless oil ( Sunflower, vegetable, canola)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ½ /12 oz/350g bananas (around 3 medium bananas)
- 1 Best-Ever Banana Bread Recipe
- 1 large tub of Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
- Chocolate Sauce
- Salted Caramel sauce
- In a large bowl stir the flour, salt, baking powder, sugar and cinnamon together
- In a seperate bowl mash the banana with a fork until very little lumps left.
- Mix in the egg, sunflower oil and vanilla essence into the banana
- Fold in mashed banana mix into the dry ingredients using a fork. Do not over mix, just mix it gently.
- Spoon into a lined 6inch tin (or 8 inch) and bake in an oven preheated to 350oF (180oC) for 45- 50 minutes until the loaf is golden brown and springs back when prodded gently with your finger.
- Leave in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack. Let go totally cold
- To assemble the ice cream cake: Slice the cold banana bread in the middle. Place the bottom layers on the baking paper back into the tin you baked it in.
- Scoop semi soft vanilla ice cream onto this banana bread to cover the surface. Spread it out with a knife to ensure no gaps
- Pop on the top layer of the banana bread and put it back in the freezer until the ice cream in the center is frozen (roughly 15-45 minutes)
- When solid take it out of the freezer. Make the top of the cake even by slicing any bump off the top pf the cake
- Turn out the cake and turn it upside down so the bottom is now the top
- With a palette knife start to spread the soft ice cream on the sides and top of the cake.
- Work fast and if you feel like it is melting put it back in the freezer to go solid again.
- Spread the ice cream smooth around the sides and on top. This might take 2 attempts if you have to put it back in the freezer.
- Once covered add sprinkles around the bottom of the cake and scoop ice cream balls on top of the cake. Put it back in the freezer until needed.
- When ready to serve drizzle over your spaces- chocolate, caramel and strawberry.
- Add more sprinkles and a cheery on top