This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
I am so excited to share this recipe for my Cinnamon Roll Cake. I have taken all the best bits of a cinnamon roll and re-imagined them into this awesome Cinnamon Roll Cake. You are going to love it!
From Cinnamon Roll in a Mug, to a savory roll version like my Stuffed Bread Rolls, I am all about Cinnamon Rolls. This recipe takes it to the next level, starting with the cake. This Cinnamon Roll Cake is a super moist and sweet vanilla cake topped with a cinnamon filling that tastes just like homemade Cinnamon Rolls. The super special cinnamon filling is the trick to transforming this lovely cake into a gorgeous Cinnamon Roll Cake. To make the Cinnamon Roll filling, I combine brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and flour then pipe it in a spiral shape on the top of the cake.
This Cinnamon Roll Cake works like magic, baking up with a spiral of cinnamon roll filling on top. I am amazed at how well this technique works. You might think the cinnamon filling would sink, but it truly stays on top of the cake during baking, leaving you with one of the most beautiful and delicious cakes.
The last step to making this gorgeous Cinnamon Roll Cake is of course the cream cheese glaze, just like an authentic Cinnamon Roll would have. While still warm, I top this cake with a glaze made of powdered sugar and soft cream cheese. This cream cheese glaze not only keeps the cake super moist but adds so much tangy flavor which is the perfect contrast to that sweet cinnamon roll taste, delicious!
This impressive Cinnamon Roll Cake is surprisingly easy to make and such a refreshing take on this classic flavor. You are going to love it! For more cake ideas, try my Best Ever Chocolate Cake and Vanilla Birthday Cake!
Watch The Recipe Video!
Cinnamon Roll Cake Recipe
- Cinnamon Filling:
- 1/2 cup (4oz/120g) butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup ( 3oz/90g) brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- For the Cake:
- 3 cups (15oz/450g) flour
- 1 cup (8oz/240g) sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cup (12floz/360ml) milk
- 2 eggs , room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup (4floz/120ml) flavorless oil (vegetable, canola, sunflower/)
For the Glaze:
- 2 cups (8oz/120g) powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup (4oz/120g) cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 350F/180C. Grease a 9 inch cake tin, set aside.
- To make the cinnamon filling: Cream together the softened butter, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon in a small bowl until evenly combined.Transfer the cinnamon filling to a piping bag fitted with a round tip or a zip lock bag snipped in one corner. Set aside.
- Next make the cake: In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a large jug, whisk together the milk, eggs, oil and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk just until a smooth batter is formed, be sure not to over mix.
- Transfer the cake batter into the prepared pan. Starting in the center of the cake pipe the cinnamon filling in a spiral pattern, until you've reached the edge of the tin. This will bake into the cake and create that classic cinnamon roll spiral pattern.
- Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- While the cake is baking make your glaze: Melt the cream cheese in a medium bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds. Once soft, add the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla and whisk until a smooth glaze is formed. Set aside.
- When the cake is done remove from the oven and allow to cool before transferring to a cooling rack. Pour over the glaze while the cake is warm.
- Store in an airtight container for up to three days.