Learn how to make my classic Vanilla Birthday Cake Recipe with Buttercream Frosting and I’ll show you how to make the best vanilla cake recipe and decorate it simply and impressively!
Hi Bold Bakers!
Every Bold Baker needs a Master Vanilla Birthday Cake recipe with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting. A vanilla cake recipe is a must have in your repertoire. I promise you this cake recipe will never fail you and you will have it for years to come.
How to Make the Best Vanilla Cake Recipe
This cake is a classic with a lovely vanilla flavor. It is soft and light and the buttercream helps make it a simple, big slice of heaven.
I know my strengths as a baker and cake decorating is not one of them. So what I do is use the simplest technique to get over-the-top results like this beautiful Birthday Cake covered in sprinkles.
Don’t worry if you are not a great cake decorator. Adding Sprinkles covers a multitude of sins. Your cake will look flawless with my method.
You cannot beat a classic Vanilla Cake, it’s one of my favorite. The sprinkles on this cake make it over-the-top amazing!
When making your next celebration cake remember you cannot go wrong with Sprinkles!!! Just when you think you added enough, add MORE!
Once decorated, this cake keeps well for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
This Vanilla Cake freezes really well and can be kept for 4 weeks in the freezer.
This Birthday Cake is best served at room temperature. The flavors and texture will be much better.
Don’t Miss a New Recipe! Sign up for my FREE Email Newsletter!
- 3 cups (425g/15oz) cake flour, sifted
- 2 cups (453g/16oz) granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 whole egg, at room temperature
- 1 cup (8floz/227ml) whole milk or full fat buttermilk
- 2¼ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (170g, 6oz) unsalted butter, cold
- Vanilla Buttercream Frosting (Master Recipe Here)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and line three 6-inch cake pans with parchment paper.
- In a large jug combine and whisk together the egg whites, whole egg, milk, and the vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the dry ingredients together on low speed for 1 minute. (You can also do it by hand)
- Add the cold butter and continue to mix on low until the mixture is a fine crumbly texture.
- Add the liquid mixture into your dry ingredients in 2 separate batches making sure to scrape the sides and bottom before and after each batch, mixing until light, fluffy, homogenous and well incorporated. Fold once or twice to ensure the batter at bottom of bowl is incorporated.
- Divide the batter evenly into the prepared pans.
- Bake until a cake tester comes out with a few crumbs when inserted into the center, about 25-35 minutes. Be very careful to not over-bake. Check cake at 25 minutes to see how it is doing and judge the timing from there.
- Once Bake let the cake cool on racks for 20 minutes before removing them from the tins.
- When the cake is completely cold you can start to decorate. If you are not using it straight away wrap the cake tightly and store at room temperature for up to 2 days, refrigerator for up to 5 days, or frozen for up to 2 months.
- To Assemble the Cake: With a serrated knife cut off the top of the cake layers to give them even, level surfaces to frost on.
- Place bottom cake layer on the table or cake turntable.
- Spread your chilled butter cream frosting on top with a small offset spatula. Gently place 2nd cake layer face down on top. Place more frosting on top of this layer and spread out.
- Gently add the 3rd cake layer. Add a generous scoop of frosting and spread evenly with a small offset spatula working your way down the sides until you have a thin layer of frosting over the entire cake. This is called the “Crumb layer” . Chill until set, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator and apply a final “coat” of frosting. Decorate all over with sprinkles. Just keep on applying them until they stick all over.
- Store in the fridge for up to 3 days. Before serving let it at room temperature for 30 minute and then enjoy!
“A party without cake is just a meeting” ― Julia Child
SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE
72 ImagesSubmit Your Photos
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.