This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
Holy moly. I love a loaf of good banana bread (like my Best-Ever Banana Bread recipe), but my homemade Cream Cheese Swirl Banana Bread is out of this world! You have all the best qualities of banana bread — a sweet, moist, banana-flavored loaf — but with the bonus of a rich swirl of cream cheese!
I swear, it almost tastes like a cheesecake has been swirled into it. It’s positively indulgent! I love to have a warm slice for breakfast, but this recipe feels more like a dessert.
This quickbread recipe is the perfect combination of sweet and tangy from the banana and cream cheese. It’s super moist, and since it has both ripe bananas and cream cheese, you can only imagine how creamy it is!
What Is Cream Cheese Banana Bread?
This is a slightly different take on the classic banana bread we all know and love (and have become very acquainted with during lockdown!) The loaf’s batter is made like usual banana bread, but then there is an added swirl of an irresistible cream cheese mixture made with cream cheese (of course), plain yogurt, egg, sugar, and vanilla extract.
Be sure to read below to learn how to get that perfect swirl!
What You Need To Make Cream Cheese Swirl Banana Bread
How To Make Cream Cheese Swirl Banana Bread
Up your banana bread game by adding a delicious cream cheese swirl — you won’t regret it! Here is how you make it (and don’t forget to get the full recipe with measurements, on the page down below):
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and prepare a 9 x 5-inch (23 x 12.5cm) loaf pan by lining it with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, mix the mashed bananas, egg, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the mashed banana mixture until it is just combined, being sure not to overmix.
- In another small bowl, make the cream cheese swirl by beating together the cream cheese, yogurt, egg, sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Pour about 2/3 of the banana bread batter into your prepped loaf pan. Then, pour the cream cheese mixture evenly on top of the batter. Pour the remaining banana bread batter over the cream cheese layer. To make the swirl, use a knife and swirl the cream cheese mixture gently into the batter a few times — no need to go overboard!
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes, until the loaf is golden brown. When you press the loaf gently with your finger, it should spring back when it is done baking. Leave it in the pan to cool for about 10 minutes, then turn it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
How NOT To Make Banana Bread
Despite the easiness of this recipe, there are in fact ways to make mistakes when whipping up a loaf. Let me break down the most common things people get wrong, so you can avoid them and sail straight to success. Find that information here in my master Best-Ever Banana Bread recipe!
Gemma’s Pro Chef Tips For Making Cream Cheese Swirl Banana Bread
- Be sure not to overmix your banana bread batter once you add the flour! You want to stir until the ingredients are just combined, and you can no longer see any dry ingredients.
- Slice the bread before you freeze it so you can take out only the amount you want to defrost.
- You can mix in 1 cup (6oz/170g) of chocolate chips or 1 cup (5oz/142g) of chopped walnuts into the batter just after you combine the wet and dry ingredients.
- Don’t skimp on the salt and vanilla! They’re both key to getting a delicious flavored loaf!
How To Store Banana Bread
You can store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. This bread also freezes wonderfully and can be kept in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Make More Banana Bread!
And don’t forget to buy my Bigger Bolder Baking Cookbook!
Full (and printable) recipe below!