This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
Did you know you could bake in a slow cooker (or Crock Pot)? They can produce incredible desserts like this Gingerbread Pudding Cake. Crock Pots are fantastic especially if you live in a dorm or have a small kitchen. Around the holidays they save you time and space in your kitchen; you can just set it and forget it! Just the way I like it.
You can cook many amazing desserts in a Crock Pot like this Apple & Blueberry Crisp or my decadent Hot Fudge Brownie in a Crockpot. The desserts don’t brown on top but what you do get are incredibly soft, moist treats.
My crock pot is a large 4 quart version, however if you have a small crock pot then you can just halve my recipe. If you are using a rice cooker then follow the same instructions.
One of my favorite things about this dessert is once it is fully mixed you can pop it in the fridge and cook it off the next day.
This gingerbread gets incredibly moist and so soft you can eat it with a spoon, which is why I’m calling it a Pudding Cake.
This dessert is aptly named a pudding cake because it is both- it has the softness and gooeyness of a pudding and crumbs like a cake.
I have heard these kinds of desserts referenced as “spoon dessert” because all you will want to do is eat it straight out of the crock pot with a spoon. Divine!
If you make any of my holiday desserts I strongly recoomend this one. That is not dissing my other desserts, this one is just THAT good.
Have you visited my Holiday Baking Headquarters page? There you will find every recipe you could possibly need for the Holidays including Easy Sugar Cookies, my Best-Ever Hot Chocolate, and more edible gifts!
Watch The Recipe Video!
Crock Pot Gingerbread Pudding Cake
- 1 Cup (8oz/225g) light brown sugar
- ¾ Cup (8oz/225g) Treacle/molasses
- 2 sticks ( 8oz/225g) Butter
- 3 Cups (16oz/450g) Ap flour
- 2 tsp Ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 2 Whole Eggs
- 1 ¼ cups (10floz/300ml) Whole milk
- 2 level tsp Baking soda (bicarb of soda)
- ¾ cups (6oz/180g) butter
- 2 ¼ cups (20 floz) water
- ¾ cup (8oz/225g) brown sugar
- In a microwaveable bowl, gently heat the sugar, butter and treacle until melted. Set aside to cool once melted.
- Whisk the eggs together and then pour them into the treacle mix and continue whisking
- Sift the flour and spices over the treacle mix and gently stir in.
- Heat the milk until warm in the microwave (about 1 minute)
- Whisk the bicarbonate (baking soda) into the warm milk. You will see it bubble and activate.
- Whisk the milk straight into the treacle mix until well combined. You will notice this is a thin batter, that's ok.
- Butter your crock pot (or rice cooker) and pour in the batter. (my crock pot is a large 4 quarts)
- In a bowl heat the butter, water and brown sugar in a bowl until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves.
- Gently pour it on top of the gingerbread mix. It will be hot but that’s ok.
- Place on the lid and set your crockpot to HIGH and cook for 2 hours (this timing is based on my crock pot so your timing may vary depending on the strength of yours)
- While baking you will notice the pudding cakes rises up a lot and the liquid will bake into the cake.
- After the 2 hours remove the pot from the body of the crock pot and set aside to cool down and let it set. It will continue cooking out of the crock pot.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and you will be in heaven!