This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
With the holidays in full swing, I am all about baking with the season’s classic ingredients. While I’m staying true to traditional flavors, I love mixing it up when it comes to how I combine all of these festive dessert building blocks. I’ve shared loads of cookie recipes, but unlike the others, my Holiday Pecan Praline Cookies are a cross between a bar, a cookie, and a pecan pie.
Can you think of a better combination?
What are holiday pecan praline cookies?
Holiday Pecan Praline Cookies start with my Homemade Graham Crackers. While I really like to make my pecan praline cookies 100% from scratch, it is totally fine to take the help where you can get it and use store bought graham crackers, though!
Form there, I layer up my grahams with a pecan pie and praline flavored mixture. After baking, the graham crackers and pecan mixture melt together to form the most irresistible treat. I love making a big sheet of the my Pecan Praline Cookies and cutting them into nice sized squares. These have all the flavor or pecan pie, but are handheld and so easy to make.
Can I substitute the pecans?
I really like the flavor of pecans with praline. I find this nutty combination to be classic world wide for the holidays. If for some reason you don’t like pecans, or you would like to use another nut, feel free because this would also taste lovely with slivered almonds, walnuts, or cashews!
How long do pecan praline cookies last?
My Pecan Praline Cookies will last up to 5 days covered and stored in an airtight container at room temperature. These make a great gift or make-ahead treat. I love to layer them in a pretty tin and give them as gifts!
Get More Cookies!
And don’t forget to follow Bigger Bolder Baking on Pinterest!
Holiday Pecan Praline Cookies Recipe
- 18-20 whole graham crackers (about 2 sleeves), store bought or home made
- 1 ½ cups (9oz/255g) (9oz/270g) dark brown sugar packed
- 1 ½ cups (12oz/340g) (12oz/360g) butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (10oz/284g) pecans, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180°C). Line a sheet pan (13x18) with foil allowing the foil to overhang pan by a few inches on the long sides.
- Place graham crackers in single layer on prepared pan. Cover the entire pan. You will have to cut a few of the crackers to fit.
- Melt butter in a medium-size saucepan. Add brown sugar and whisk mixture together over medium heat. Stir continuously until sugar is fully incorporated. At first the butter and sugar will seem to separate. Just keep whisking till smooth.
- Bring mixture to a rolling boil, add pecans and continue cooking, stirring frequently for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and salt. Be careful as mixture will bubble furiously when you add the vanilla.
- Working quickly, pour mixture over graham crackers and spread to cover with a knife.
- Bake for 12 minutes. The entire surface should be bubbly. If not, bake it for bit longer. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Using foil, transfer bars to a large cutting board and cut into squares. Allow to cool completely before serving.
- Cover and store at room temperature in an airtight container for 3-5 days.