This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
The weather is heating up and summer is practically on our doorstep, which means that it’s almost peak cherry season! And I love using those beautiful, juicy cherries in desserts that really allow them to shine, like my homemade gluten-free cherry and almond tart!
With its rich, sweet almond filling, and fresh juicy cherries, this is a relatively simple tart; but those delicious flavors make it feel so elegant!
I don’t think enough people talk about cherries and almonds being a classic flavor combo. A little almond flavoring, in this case, my homemade frangipane, balances any acidity from the cherries perfect, while the cherries give the almond dessert a huge ZAP of life and brightness. Actually, most almond extract is made from cherry pits (or other fruits that belong in the same family), so why wouldn’t we put these two together?
What Is A Gluten-Free Cherry And Almond Tart?
This recipe yields a beautiful, flavorful cherry and almond tart with the bonus of being gluten-free. Instead of a typical pie crust, I use my Gluten-Free Pie Crust recipe, fill it with my homemade frangipane (a recipe I believe every bold baker should have in their back pocket!), and add delicious, fresh pitted cherries. Once baked, those cherries are just bursting with flavor!
(Another bonus? You can use frozen cherries in this recipe if you can’t find any nice ones yet!)
What You Need To Make Gluten-Free Cherry And Almond Tart
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 9-inch (23cm) tart pan
- Parchment paper
- Pie weights (you can use dry beans or rice)
How To Make Gluten-Free Cherry And Almond Tart
This is a fantastic dessert to showcase the fresh cherries of summer! Here is how you make a gluten-free cherry and almond tart (get the FULL written recipe, printable, below):
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Line your 9-inch (23cm) tart pan with the Gluten-Free Pie Crust. Then line the crust with parchment paper and fill it with pie weights.
- Blind bake the crust for 15 minutes; this helps ensure the crust stays crisp when adding the other ingredients later.
- Lower the heat of your oven to 350°F (180°C) and remove the pie weights and parchment paper from the crust and bake for another 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, whisk the frangipane and the egg and fill the baked pie crust. Then, press the cherries into the frangipane and egg mixture.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the filling has set.
- Allow the tart to cool to room temperature before enjoying it!
Gemma’s Pro Chef Tips For Making Gluten-Free Cherry And Almond Tart
- If you don’t have any fresh cherries, or they’re not quite in season yet, feel free to use frozen cherries. Fruits are always packaged during peak season, so they will be just as delicious!
- Drizzle this tart with some chocolate ganache! Cherries, almonds, and chocolate are an absolute dream team.
- For a fruity twist, brush a little warmed and strained apricot jam over the tart once it’s baked.
- You can make this tart with other stone fruit instead of cherries, like peeled apricots, peaches, or plums!
- Use my Homemade frangipane!
- Use my Gluten-Free Pie Crust recipe. If you prefer desserts that have gluten, make it using my Homemade Pie Crust.
How Do I Store Gluten-Free Cherry And Almond Tart?
You can store this gluten-free cherry and almond tart at room temperature, loosely covered, for up to 3 days.
Make More Pies & Tarts!
- The Only Blueberry Pie Recipe You’ll Ever Need
- 15 Minute Banana Cream Pie
- No-Bake Key Lime Pie
- 5-Ingredient Chocolate Pie
- The Whole Lemon Tart
And don’t forget to buy my Bigger Bolder Baking Cookbook!
Full (and printable) recipe below!
Gluten-Free Cherry Almond Tart Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Line a 9-inch (23cm) tart pan with the Gluten-Free Pie Crust recipe, line with parchment, and fill with pie weights.
- Blind bake the crust for 15 minutes.
- Lower the heat to 350°F (180°C), remove the pie weights and parchment and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Whisk the frangipane and the egg, fill the baked crust then press the cherries into the crust.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the filling is set.
- Let cool to room temperature before enjoying.
- Store, loosely covered, at room temperature for up to 3 days.