This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
Is there really anything better than homemade banana bread? Actually yes. It’s this homemade and Healthy Chocolate Banana Bread! Imagine that comforting banana bread flavor we all know and love combined with your favorite chocolate cake. Sounds dreamy right? Well that’s pretty much what this is.
My recipe for Healthy Chocolate Banana Bread really does tick all of the boxes. This hearty sweet bread is great for breakfast, an afternoon snack and of course dessert. It’s actually great for you since it’s free from egg, gluten, and refined sugar. Bonus – it’s full of healthy fats, satisfying chocolate flavor and that moist banana bread texture.
This Healthy Banana Bread is so easy to make that I find myself making it a few times a month. It’s really great to keep around and never lasts long. To make this Healthy Chocolate Banana Bread, you simply mash up your bananas, mix with coconut oil, flax egg (my favorite egg substitute) and coconut sugar. Then mix your banana mixture with gluten-free flour, good-quality cocoa powder and by all means chocolate chips. This batter comes together in 10 minutes flat and it’s hard not to just dig in after baking it.
The finished Healthy Chocolate Banana Bread is gorgeous – super moist and beyond chocolaty with that hint of banana flavor. You are going to love it!
Get more Bold Baking Guilt Free Desserts including my Healthy Brownies and Healthy Nutella recipes!
Healthy Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup (5oz/150g) all purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup (2oz/60g) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 large ripe bananas (about 1 1/2 cups (15oz/540g) mashed banana)
- 1/3 cup (21/2oz/75ml) coconut oil, liquid
- 3/4 cup (41/20z/135g) coconut sugar*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup ( 41/2oz/135g) chocolate chips
- Heat your oven to 350oF (180oC) and grease a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with coconut oil and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flax seed meal and water. Let sit for 10 minutes. This is to make a "flax egg" or egg substitute.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the ripe bananas with a fork. Add the melted coconut oil and stir until combined. Next add in the coconut sugar, flax egg, and vanilla extract. Stir until smooth.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, being careful not to over mix.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips.
- Bake for 65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out mostly clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven and set on a wire cooling rack. Let the bread cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the bread and carefully remove from the pan.
- Let the bread cool on the wire cooling rack before cuting into slices and serving.
- The bread will keep on the counter, wrapped in plastic wrap, for up to 4 days. This bread also freezes well. To freeze, cool the bread completely and wrap in plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost before slicing.