Hi Bold Bakers!
Royal icing is a really easy frosting to make for decorating cakes and cookies. You know when you see those beautifully decorated cookie or gingerbread houses at Christmas? That is Royal Icing doing its job.
Royal icing is used for different things so it can be made runny or stiff for its different uses. In Ireland, we use it a lot around the holidays to cover our traditional Irish Christmas Cake. For this I add more icing sugar to this recipe so it becomes thick and spreadable.
My recipe below gives you the perfect consistency for “flooding” cookies. This means its runny and will spread out evenly on your cookie. To test if you have the right consistency you should be able to pipe a line between two fingertips and it should not break.
I love how this icing can be made by simply mixing all of the ingredients together. Once your Royal Icing is made, cover it with cling wrap directly on the surface of the icing to stop it from getting hard and drying out. It will keep happily for a few weeks at room temperature
Also, don’t miss my Gingerbread Log Cabin recipe for a great way to use your Royal Icing!
- 4 (4oz/115g) egg whites
- 4 cups (16oz/460g) icing sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- On a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (k beater) beat egg whites in a clean, large bowl with the mixer at high speed until foamy, around 2 minutes.
- Gradually add sifted sugar spoonful by spoonful followed by the lemon juice.
- Beat at high speed until thickened.
- The icing at this stage will be at a good consistency for flooding cookies. If you want it stiffer for frosting a cake or writing on cookies add more icing sugar until you get the consistency you desire.
- Place the icing into a bowl and cover with cling wrap. Make sure you allow the cling wrap to touch the icing so there is no air in the bowl. This stops it from going hard while you are waiting to use it.
- Use it straight away or store at room temperature for up to 4 weeks. This will be enough to cover 1 large cake.
SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE
0 ImagesSubmit Your Photos
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.