This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
Hi Bold Baconers!
Finally, after years of working on Bigger Bolder Baking, I could not be more excited to share with you the first original recipe from Bigger Bolder Bacon! For those of you who don’t know me, hi there! I’m Kevin, Gemma’s husband and Executive Producer of Bigger Bolder Baking. While we’re big fans of baking in our household, we’re also huge fans of BACON. Why? Well, for obvious reasons! What’s not to love about smoky, salty and crispy bacon?
Let’s Get Bacon-ing!
I love bacon in pretty much any form, from classic bacon and eggs to Gemma’s Bacon & Cheddar Waffles or incorporated into my favorite easy recipes like this Maple Bacon Cheddar Mug Muffin. What makes this mug cake recipe so big, bold and bacon-y is that it really hits that incredible spot right between sweet and savory. This delicious mug muffin is riddled with maple glazed bacon, sweet corn and gooey cheese. Oh – did I mention it can be made in under 2 microwave minutes?! Make sure to always keep an eye on your Mug recipes when you’re micro-baking them so they don’t overcook.
How to make maple glazed bacon?
Maple glazed bacon is really what sets this sweet and savoy microwave mug recipe apart from all the rest. Although it sounds fancy, it’s really simple to make. All you have to do is fry up bacon as you normally would. Once fully cooked, crisp and still warm, simply drizzle the bacon with maple syrup. This candies the bacon and really allows all that sweet flavor to seep in!
Can I substitute bacon?
Not into bacon? No problem. If you don’t eat bacon feel free to omit it completely. Or, if you want to impart that smoky bacon flavor but don’t eat bacon, turkey or vegan bacon are a great substitute; you can actually maple glaze both of them using the same method you would use to glaze normal bacon.
Get 100 Mug Meal Recipes!
For other sweet and savory mug cakes and meals, check out Gemma’s Mug Meals for 100 Mug Meal recipes!
Oh, and Happy April Fool’s Day, Bold Bakers!
Watch The Recipe Video!
Maple Bacon Corn Cheddar Mug Muffin
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon (1/4oz/ 9g) butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons milk (or buttermilk)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon corn , frozen & defrosted
- 2 tablespoons cooked maple glazed bacon , chopped
- 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese , shredded
- In a microwavable mug, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Using your fork, incorporate the cubed butter into the dry ingredients. When done it will resemble fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the milk, maple syrup, bacon, corn, and cheese until your mix forms a batter.
- Microwave for roughly 1 minute (this timing is based on my 1200W microwave so yours might vary)
- Top with additional bacon, cheese, corn and chives, enjoy warm!