This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE: This incredible 2-Minute Microwave Pizza Bowl is simple, fast, yet equally mouthwatering! It takes the convenience of our absolutely-beloved Microwave Mug Pizza but brought it to a bigger and bolder level. Your cravings for the traditional Best-Ever Pizza or the Simplest Sourdough Pizza will be satisfied with abundant high-quality ingredients in just minutes with minimal effort.
Pizza always holds a special place in my heart. My passion for bread and doughs has inspired me to craft numerous unique pizza recipes such as 15-Minute Pizza Dough Recipe (No Yeast), Pizza Scones, Pepperoni Pizza Rolls, Pizza Monkey Bread, and The MOST Bubbly Focaccia Pizza.
And as the popularity of cake bowls continues to grow, how could I miss this 2-Minute Microwave Pizza Bowl recipe as a savory addition to 2-Minute Banana Cake Bowl, 2-Minute Microwave Carrot Cake Bowl, 2-Minute Microwave Brownie Bowl, 2-Minute Microwave Red Velvet Cake Bowl, and Chocolate Lava Cake Bowl Recipe.
Table of Contents
- What is a 2-Minute Microwave Pizza Bowl?
- Tools You Need
- 2-Minute Microwave Pizza Bowl Key Ingredients and Why
- How to Make a 2-Minute Microwave Pizza Bowl
- Can I Make the 2-Minute Pizza Bowl in Advance?
- Can I make a 2-Minute Microwave Pizza Bowl in the oven?
- Gemma’s Pro Chef Tips
- Don’t Miss My Other Sweet Cake Bowl Recipes
What is a 2-Minute Microwave Pizza Bowl?
- A 2-Minute Microwave Pizza Bowl is a time-saving way to enjoy a pizza-inspired meal.
- This approach is popular because it offers a speedy alternative to traditional pizza preparation, creates less heat, and provides more creative cooking activities for families. The specific ingredients can vary widely, allowing for customization or portion control to suit individual preferences.
Tools You Need
- Microwave-safe soup bowl
2-Minute Microwave Pizza Bowl Key Ingredients and Why
All-purpose flour has the right amount of protein at around 9-11% to make pizza batter strong enough to rise and hold mix-ins without being chewy.
Baking powder is the raising agent to create a fluffy texture.
- Baking soda not only makes the batter rise, but also reacts with natural sugar from flour and milk contributing to a nice golden color through Maillard reaction.
- Baking soda is sodium which enhances the flavor.
Salt enhances flavors of pizza bowl.
Whole milk or full-fat milk is my go-to choice for baking for a richer taste and creamier consistency.
Olive oil contributes to a more flavorful pizza with a better texture. I suggest you use extra virgin olive oil.
- First, olive oil imparts a rich, fruity flavor that can enhance the flavor.
- Second, olive oil adds moisture and texture, tenderizing the crust and making it crispier on the outside and chewier on the inside.
- Pizza sauce not only adds flavor but also prevents the batter from getting dry in the microwave.
- Make my 5-Minute Pizza Sauce recipe to elevate the flavor of your pizza.
- Mozzarella cheese is a traditional pizza topping and is typically used as the base cheese in most pizzas. Make it at home using my How To Make Homemade Mozzarella recipe.
- Mozzarella melts well and creates a stringy, stretchy texture when it’s heated. It helps to hold everything together, and its mild flavor complements the other toppings, creating a tasty and cohesive final product.
How to Make a 2-Minute Microwave Pizza Bowl
Mix dry ingredients including flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a microwavable bowl.
Add in wet ingredients including the milk and oil then mix together. There might be some lumps but that is ok.
Add the pizza sauce and spread it around the surface of the batter.
Sprinkle on toppings including the cheese, pepperoni, and dried herbs
Microwave for roughly 2 minutes or so, until it rises up and the toppings are bubbling.
Enjoy straight away!
Can I Make the 2-Minute Pizza Bowl in Advance?
- Yes, you can make the 2-Minute Pizza Bowl in advance.
- You can mix all other ingredients and keep the mixture in the fridge for up to 24 hours. When ready to serve, microwave it per this recipe.
Can I make a 2-Minute Microwave Pizza Bowl in the oven?
Yes, you can bake it in an oven-safe bowl at 350°F/180°C for roughly 12-15 minutes, until it rises up and the toppings are bubbling.
How can I make a gluten-free microwave pizza bowl?
You can use gluten-free all-purpose blend flour as the base for your pizza bowl to make it gluten-free.
Is it possible to make a low-carb or keto-friendly version of the microwave pizza bowl?
- Yes, you can use almond flour as a base and choose keto-friendly toppings and sauces to create a low-carb or keto pizza bowl.
- Substitute almond flour starting at 1:1 for all-purpose (white) flour. More resting time before baking will help hydrate almond flour to bind all ingredients better, or ½ – 2 tsp xanthan gum or cornstarch in each cup of almond flour will also work as a binding agent.
Can I make a vegetarian or vegan version of the microwave pizza bowl?
- Absolutely! You can use vegan cheese and load up your pizza bowl with vegetables like bell peppers, tomatoes, olives, onions, and spinach for a vegetarian or vegan option.
Can I freeze microwave pizza bowls for later use?
- While it’s best to enjoy them fresh, you can assemble the pizza bowls and freeze them before cooking. When you’re ready to eat, simply microwave from frozen, adding extra cooking time as needed.
Gemma’s Pro Chef Tips
- Use my 5-Minute Pizza Sauce or Homemade Marinara Sauce.
- Instead of Italian seasoning, fresh basil or oregano will also work.
- If mini pepperoni is hard to come by, what other toppings can be used? You can also use chopped regular pepperoni, ham, bbq chicken, turkey pepperoni or Italian sausages.
- Feel free to use your favorite cheese(s), such as cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, Homemade Mozzarella or Homemade Ricotta .
- Most toppings don’t need pre-cooking, but if you’re using raw meat such as ground beef or certain vegetables like mushrooms, you may want to sauté or cook them briefly before adding them to the pizza bowl for better texture and flavor.
- To ensure even melting, you can cover the pizza bowl with a microwave-safe lid or microwave-safe plastic wrap, leaving a small vent for steam to escape.
- Cooking time will vary greatly depending on your microwave (mine is 1200W) and the width and depth of the bowl. Always keep a close eye on your mug while in the microwave so it doesn’t over flow or over cook.
Don’t Miss My Other Sweet Cake Bowl Recipes
- 2-Minute Banana Cake Bowl
- 2-Minute Microwave Carrot Cake Bowl
- 2-Minute Microwave Brownie Bowl
- 2-Minute Microwave Red Velvet Cake Bowl
- Chocolate Lava Cake Bowl Recipe
Watch The Recipe Video!
- ½ cup (2 ½oz/71g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup (2 ½ fl oz/75 ml) milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pizza sauce
- 2 generous tablespoons shredded mozzarella cheese
- 10 mini pepperonis
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian herbs (basil or oregano will work)
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a microwavable bowl.
- Add in the milk and oil then mix together. There might be some lumps but that is ok.
- Spoon on the pizza sauce and spread it around the surface of the batter.
- Sprinkle on the cheese, pepperoni, and dried herbs
- Microwave for roughly 2 minutes or so, until it rises up and the toppings are bubbling (timing is based on my 1200W microwave so your timing might vary)
- Enjoy straight away!