Hi Bold Bakers!
Normally you see me making things on the sweeter side of baking but rest assured I do know a thing or two about making pizza. When I lived in San Francisco I turned the sitting room of the old Georgian townhouse I rented into an Underground restaurant and fed my friends, friends of friends, and hungry strangers fresh pizzas from my rickety old gas oven! I called it “Knead to Know.” I only invited my friends so you would “knead to know” one of my friends to find out about it. (get it?)
I created this Mushroom, Mascarpone & Egg Pizza for my pop-up Pizzeria and it was hugely popular, and still to this day it is my absolute favorite pizza. Someone asked me recently what’s my favorite pizza topping and it’s mascarpone for sure. If you haven’t tried it you are missing out. Once baked it’s creamy, a little zesty and has bite. That flavor combined with the garlic and thyme and an egg on top is just dreamy.
Any baker worth their salt has their own tried and tested Pizza Dough Recipe that they carry with them from kitchen to kitchen. I am no different and hold my precious recipes close to my chest.
What makes my No Knead Pizza Dough the Best Ever? It’s simple: this dough is mixed by hand without the need for a machine. It ferments overnight to give great flavor and texture and best of all the dough lasts up to 4 days in the fridge. At the end you get restuarant quality professional pizza. The results will be the BEST-EVER Pizza you make at home, I promise you that. The recipe for my pizza dough is here. And be sure to check out my Potato & Mint Pesto Pizza as well.
Not all pizzas have to have red sauce on them. A great variation is to make a mushroom mix, similar to a duxelle and use that to spread on your base. The mix will add moisture and flavor to your pizza.
If you find it hard to buy mascarpone you can always use fresh ricotta as a substitute. However, I strongly urge you to try the mascarpone. It is just so creamy, smooth and delicious. The subtleness of the cheese works so well with the mushroom.
Depending on how you like your egg cooked, crack one in the center of your pizza so you get some with every slice.
My Best-Ever No Knead Pizza Dough will yield you the most perfect, restaurant style pizza that you might never go out again. All those bubbles in the crust come from fermenting your dough. It is divine!
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (1 oz/60g) Butter
- 3 Whole Shallot , chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves , chopped
- 8 oz Brown cap mushrooms , wiped and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup (4oz/120g) Mascarpone cheese
- 1 Whole Eggs
- Best Ever No Knead Pizza (recipe here)
- Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan over low heat Sauté the shallots until soft and translucent Add in the garlic.
- Turn up the heat on the pan and when hot toss in the mushrooms. Do not stir, let them sit and fry where they lay. Important part: the mushrooms will not color and fry well if you move the mushrooms around the pan while cooking. They will release liquid and stew leaving you with soggy, flavorless mushrooms.
- Once the mushrooms have fried on high for 3 minutes or so and they start to smell nutty and color move them a little to cook any that you missed. When lovely and brown turn off and set aside to cool. Stir in chopped thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble the pizza :On the base, brush the rim of the dough with olive oil. Spread the mushroom mix liberally around the pizza
- Dot spoonfuls of the mascarpone evenly around the pizza
- Lastly crack an egg on each side of the pizza. I like to break the yolk and drag it around the pizza so everyone gets some egg. Season with freshly cracked black pepper and a tiny sprinkle of salt
- Bake at 450OoF (225OC) for roughly 12-15 minutes or until the egg white is not translucent
SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE
1 ImagesSubmit Your Photos
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.