This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
When you successfully make Pizza from scratch at home, there is a huge sense of accomplishment. For years I tried to master the Best-Ever Pizza Dough and finally I did it, and guess what? It’s much easier than you would think because I use the tried and tested “No Knead” method. No matter what level of a baker you are, you will be able to make this dough and have restaurant quality pizza from your own oven.
I do know a thing or two about pizza dough. Aside from working as a baker for many years I also turned the sitting room of the old Georgian townhouse I rented in San Francisco into an Underground restaurant and fed my friends, friends of friends, and hungry strangers fresh pizzas from my rickety old gas oven! I called it “Knead to Know.” I only invited my friends so you would “knead to know” one of my friends to find out about it.
I created a select few pizza for these night, one was Mushroom, Mascarpone & Egg Pizza and another was this recipe for Potato & Mint Pesto Pizza. Carbs are one of my main food groups so naturally to make something that is potato on a bready crust just made all sorts of sense to me.
Any baker worth their salt has their own tried and tested Pizza Dough Recipe that they carry with them from kitchen to kitchen. I am no different and hold my precious recipes close to my chest.
What makes my No Knead Pizza Dough the Best Ever? It’s simple: this dough is mixed by hand without the need for a machine. It ferments overnight to give great flavor and texture and best of all the dough lasts up to 4 days in the fridge. At the end you get restuarant quality professional pizza. The results will be the BEST-EVER Pizza you make at home, I promise you that. The recipe for my pizza dough is here.
Although Pizza with Potato sounds a little bit odd, it adds great texture to your pizza and makes for good eating.
The mint Pesto is such a unique pesto. It is fresh tasting but also has the characteristics of traditional pesto that we have grown to love.
The reason for the mint pesto is simple, mint and potatoes compliment each other so well. The mint adds a kick to the somewhat plain tasting potatoes. The potato offers the pizza texture while the mint pesto offers a punch of flavor.
Potato & Mint Pesto Pizza (Vegan)
- 3/4 cup packed mint leaves
- 4 scallions , thickly sliced
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons pinenuts , toasted
- 2 small potato , peeled (whatever variety you like)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Best Ever Pizza Dough (No knead) recipe here
- In a food processor, combine all of the ingredients minus the potato
- Process until smooth. Season the pesto with salt and pepper
- Thinly slice the potatoes. Sauté them in the olive oil until tender. It doesn't take long, maybe 2 minutes on each side.
- Spread the pesto on your pizza base and lay the potatoes on top.
- Bake at 450oF (225oC) for roughly 10 minutes or until golden brown.