Hi Bold Bakers!
Puff Pastry was something I have wanted to make for a long time since I started my Bold Baking Basics series. I made my easy Puff Pastry and it was a hit! But now what to do with it???? That’s when I turned to you and the requests came flooding in. Within minutes we had decided on Savory Pop-Tarts and plenty of ideas as to what to fill them with. I was excited about doing Spinach and Ricotta Savory Pop-Tarts. You often see this flavor in a pie, fill pastry or a quiche so a Pop-Tart is just another delicious version of those.
If you want to substitute the Ricotta, you can always use my Homemade Cream Cheese recipe, it will work beautifully in the Pop-Tarts.
What I like to do with these Savory Pop-Tarts is make up a bunch and freeze them raw. Then, just imagine coming home from school or work and eating a freshly baked Pop-Tart. They are for kids young and old.
- 2 cups (10oz/280g) cooked spinach
- 1 cup (8oz/225g) ricotta
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper
- Puff Pastry
- Egg wash*
- In a bowl mix together the cooked spinach, ricotta, egg and seasoning. If you are using frozen, cooked spinach make sure you drain it really well, wring out a small amount at a time in your hands to remove as much the liquid. Set aside in the fridge.
- Roll out thepuff pastry on a floured surface until ¼ - ½ inch thick.
- With a pizza cutter or knife cut your pastry to 3inch x 4inch rectangles. You will need 2 for each pop tarts.
- Spoon the filling onto a piece of the pastry. Take care not to overfill or the filling will come out.
- Egg wash the edges of the pastry around the filling, lay on the top layer and seal the 2 pieces together with a fork. Egg wash the top of the Pop-Tart, this will give your Pop-Tart a lovely golden color. Prick the top with a fork to release steam while baking.
- Bake at 400oF (200oC) for 20-23 minutes or until golden brown.
- Enjoy warm from the oven.
- You can freeze the pop tarts raw and then bake from frozen when needed.
- Egg wash: whisk up an egg yolk with 4 tablespoons of milk and brush over pastry
SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE
2 ImagesSubmit Your Photos
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.