This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
Ah, summer. Part of me wants it to never end — the desserts are just so good with all of the summer fruits and berries. Then, there’s part of me that wants to get to fall and winter desserts (and cooler temperatures). Before it’s time to move on to other seasons, you have to try my Summer Berry Crisp recipe!
Honestly, this recipe is to die for. The crisp topping isn’t the standard topping. Instead of chopped almonds, it’s actually made with ground almonds giving a really nice texture and a different twist. It’ll be something you look forward to next summer, too!
What Is A Crisp?
A crisp is sort of like a pie, except it doesn’t have a crust and usually has a “crisp” topping, usually involving almonds in some way. They’re easily made, and especially good with summer fruit — but if you haven’t tried my pear & chocolate crisp yet, you’re not livin’.
[ Looking for crisp with a different fruit? Try my Skillet Cherry Crisp! ]
What You Need To Make Summer Berry Crisp
How To Make Summer Berry Crisp
If you have your vanilla ice cream ready, you’re really halfway there as this crisp recipe couldn’t be easier — and just wait until you try the topping. Here’s what you’re getting yourself into, and you can grab the full recipe with measurements down below.
Gemma’s Pro Chef Tips For Making Berry Crisps
- Make the crisp topping in advance and keep it in the freezer so then you have it ready for a last-minute, dessert emergency
- I love almonds but feel free to use ground walnuts or hazelnuts
- If you can’t find ground almonds in the store simply grind whole nuts in a food processor until fine
- Use this topping on any fruit that is in season, peaches, pears, apples, blueberries, etc.
- Assemble the whole crisp up to 8 hours in advance and then bake it off when ready for it
- Make your own brown sugar!
Make More Dessert!
And don’t forget to buy my Bigger Bolder Baking Cookbook!
Full (and printable) recipe below!
Prep Time 20 mins
Cook Time 45 mins
Capture the last days of summer with my Berry Crisp recipe, which has a new twist on the lovely almond topping!
Author: Gemma Stafford
Servings: 6 people
- ¾ cup (4oz/115g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (4oz/115g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (2oz/57g) ground almonds
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (4oz/115g) cold butter (cubed)
- 6 cups (1lb 14oz/852g) mixed berries
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
In a large bowl add the flour, sugar, almonds, cinnamon, and salt. Mix it up to combine.
Add in the cold, cubed butter, and using your fingertips rub it into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
In a 9-inch pie dish add the fruit. (I used strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries).
Toss the berries in the cornstarch, brown sugar, and lemon juice.
Generously sprinkle the crisp topping over the prepared fruit.
Bake at 375°F (190°C) for roughly 40-45 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown.
Serve hot with vanilla ice cream. Store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.