This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
When it comes to baking in the summertime, the best recipes are quick, easy, and bursting with so much sun-ripened flavor that there’s not much for you to do except throw together a little of this and that, and get back outside as quickly as you can to enjoy that glorious warm weather.
My Homemade Blueberry Crisp recipe takes home the first place ribbon of summer desserts. It gets all the gold stars. It is everything you want in an easy dessert and more!
Can you tell just how much I LOVE this recipe? There’s no chopping, slicing, or pitting involved. All you have to do is put together a simple filling, bake it in the oven, toss on the topping, and bake it again.
And the end result is magical. There is so much flavor and texture in the jammy blueberries and sweet, crunchy, nutty topping. I really can’t wait for you to make it (and for me to make it again!).
What Is Blueberry Crisp?
The blueberries cook down into an irresistible jammy filling, and the topping is the perfect amount of crunchy nuts, sugar, and cinnamon. If this recipe gets you hooked (and trust me, it will), don’t worry — it works just as well with defrosted frozen blueberries for when you want to brighten up the winter months!
What You Need To Make Blueberry Crisp
How To Make Blueberry Crisp
The flavor isn’t the only thing that will blow you away; you’ll be amazed how easy this recipe is to make (and don’t forget to get the full recipe with measurements, on the page down below):
- For the blueberry filling, combine blueberries, cinnamon, vanilla, sugar, brown sugar, salt, lemon juice, butter, and flour. Place this mixture into a 9 inch (23cm) baking dish.
- Bake the filling in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, or until it starts to bubble.
- For the crisp topping, combine flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, almonds, butter, vanilla, and almond extract. The mixture should look like large crumbs.
- Remove the baked filling from the oven and spread the topping evenly over the top.
- Return the dish to the oven and bake again for about 45 minutes, until the berries are thick and bubbling and the topping has a beautiful, golden brown coloring.
- Take the blueberry crisp out of the oven and let cool for 15 minutes before serving!
Gemma’s Pro Chef Tips For Making Blueberry Crisp
- The crisp is best (and crispiest) the day you make it. If this recipe seems like too much, it is easily halved!
- Make individual crisps by dividing the filling and topping into ramekins and bake them that way.
- Defrosted frozen blueberries will work just as well as fresh!
- Keep your oven clean by placing a baking sheet on a lower rack to catch any drippings.
- Make your own brown sugar!
- The crisp topping can be made a day in advance and freezes well, for any impromptu dessert in the future
How Do I Store Blueberry Crisp?
Crisps really are best served the day it is made, as topping doesn’t have a chance to soak up all the blueberry juices. However, you can store any leftovers, loosely covered, at room temperature for up to one day.
Make More Pie!
- The Only Blueberry Pie Recipe You Need
- Classic Cherry Pie
- The Perfect Peach Pie
- How to Make Perfect Pie Crust
- Gluten-Free Pie Crust
And don’t forget to buy my Bigger Bolder Baking Cookbook!
Full (and printable) recipe below!
Blueberry Crisp Recipe
- 6 cups (30oz/852g) blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (2oz/57g) sugar
- ¼ cup (1 ½ oz/43g) brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons (1floz/28ml) lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons (1 ½ oz/ 60g) butter, melted
- ¼ cup (1 ¼ oz/35g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (5oz/142g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (4oz/115g) sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup (2 ½ oz/71g) raw unsalted almonds, finely chopped
- ½ cup (4oz/115g) butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Combine blueberries, cinnamon, vanilla, sugar, brown sugar, salt, lemon juice, butter, and flour together and place in a 9 inch (23cm) baking dish.
- Bake the filling as is uncovered for about 30 minutes, or until it starts to bubble.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, almonds, butter, vanilla, and almond extract until mixture resembles large crumbs.
- After filling has baked, remove from the oven, spread the topping evenly over the top of the berries and return to the oven.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the berries are thick and bubbling and the topping is a nice, golden brown.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes before serving. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- For the best taste and texture, serve this crisp the day it is made. Store leftovers loosely covered a room temperature up to one day.