Hi Bold Bakers!
Since starting Bigger Bolder Baking, I realized that my Bold Bakers don’t all have access to the same simple ingredients like whipping cream, condensed milk, buttermilk and so on. That’s actually where I got the idea for my Bold Baking Basics series. This is where I find out what you are missing and either teach you how to make it or show you an alternative. How to Turn Milk Into Whipped Cream without actually using cream sounds crazy, I know!
But hear me out. This “whipped cream” will replace real whipped cream in mousses, cheesecakes, etc. It is a gelatinous set milk that is whipped and thick. It has great shape and will hold up stiff in a recipe. Milk seems to be more widely available than whipping cream so this is for the people who don’t have it locally.
Just a note, this “whipped cream” is not suitable for my 2 ingredient No Machine Ice Cream Recipe.
For more How to recipes check out my Bold Baking Basics.
- ¼ cup (2oz / 60g) full fat milk, cold
- 2 teaspoons (1 sachet) unflavoured powdered gelatin or agar agar*
- 1 cup (8oz / 240g) full fat milk, cold
- 2 tablespoon confectioners sugar
- In a small bowl, add ¼ cup of cold milk.
- Scatter over the powdered gelatin over the milk and let it sit for 5 minutes to form a sponge.
- Once this mix is spongy melt to turn into a liquid. You can do this in the microwave or over a bain marie. Set aside to cool down.
- Pour the 1 cup of milk into a large bowl. Add the confectioners sugar/icing sugar and stir it through. Pour in the melted gelatin mix and whisk together. Place in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Take out of the fridge, and using an electric mixer whisk it up until the milk mix gets really thick and doubles in volume. As you whisk you will see it getting bigger in size.
- Store in the fridge and use within 2 days. It will not freeze.
SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE
0 ImagesSubmit Your Photos
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.