This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
Since starting Bigger Bolder Baking, I realized that my Bold Bakers don’t all have access to the same simple ingredients like whipping cream, condensed milk, buttermilk and so on. That’s actually where I got the idea for my Bold Baking Basics series. This is where I find out what you are missing and either teach you how to make it or show you an alternative. How to Turn Milk Into Whipped Cream without actually using cream sounds crazy, I know!
But hear me out. This “whipped cream” will replace real whipped cream in mousses, cheesecakes, etc. It is gelatinous set milk that is whipped and thick. It has a great shape and will hold up stiff in a recipe. Milk seems to be more widely available than whipping cream so this is for the people who don’t have it locally.
Just a note: this “whipped cream” is not suitable for my 2 ingredients No Machine Ice Cream Recipe. Neither is it suitable for frosting cakes or filling meringue. It is a substitute, it is never gonig to be fresh dairy cream.
For more How to recipes check out my Bold Baking Basics.
Watch The Recipe Video!
How to Turn Milk Into Whipped Cream
- ¼ cup (2oz / 60g) full fat milk, cold
- 2 teaspoons (1 sachet) unflavoured powdered gelatin or agar agar*
- 1 cup (8oz / 240g) full fat milk, cold
- 2 tablespoon confectioners sugar
- In a small bowl, add ¼ cup of cold milk.
- Scatter the powdered gelatin over the milk and stir it in well with a fork. Let it sit for 5 minutes or so to form a sponge.
- Once this mix is spongy melt to turn into a liquid. You can do this in the microwave or over a bain marie. Set aside to cool down.
- Pour the 1 cup of milk into a large bowl. Pour in the melted gelatin mix and whisk together. Place in the fridge for roughly 20 minutes or until it starts to thicken up.
- Take out of the fridge, add the confectioners sugar/icing sugar and stir it through. Using an electric mixer whisk it up until the milk mix gets really thick and doubles in volume. As you whisk you will see it getting bigger in size.
- Store in the fridge and use within 2 days. It will not freeze.