This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
Fall is Pie Season! But let’s not make plain old regular pies, let’s shake things up a bit. We are going to put a Big and Bold twist on a traditional pie with Apple Pie Egg Rolls. Oh, and did I mention they are baked not fried?
So what are egg rolls? Traditionally they are savory Asian Fried Rolls that you find at a takeaway. However, we are baking ours and saving our calories for more dessert. They still come out golden and delicious without the extra fat.
Just a Note: The egg roll wrappers are available in Asian Markets in the freezer section but I also put a link below to buy them online. Failing that you can always use filo pastry or puff pastry.
The Dessert Egg Rolls pack a big punch for a small dessert. However, they lack nothing. Make up a few flavors so your guests have a variety to taste. And if you make all three flavors you can do a Dessert Egg Rolls roulette.
For the apple filling, I chose granny smith apples because I find they add a nice sour balance to the sweetness of the sugar and cinnamon. If you think your local green apples are too sour, try using a Fuji, Pink Lady, or any local sweet apple as one of your three green apples.
Watch The Recipe Video!
Apple Pie Dessert Egg Rolls
- 3 cups (13.5oz/390g) apples, peeled and ¼ inch diced (approx. 2-3 apples)
- 4 tablespoons sugar (2oz/55g)
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- 1 egg , scrambled for egg wash
- Cinnamon sugar
- Combine all filling ingredients in a bowl, and mix well.
- Place 2 heaping tablespoons of filling in the center of each wrapper. Fold in the sides and roll the wrapper tightly. Use a dab of water to secure the tip of the wrapper.
- Note: It is important to make sure the sides of the wrapper are tucked in holding the ingredients in
- Preheat oven to 375oF (190oC) degrees.
- Place rolls on a baking sheet and brush each with egg wash and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve warm.