This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
One of my favorite ways to bake boldly is by simply celebrating the ingredients that are in season. During the summer in California I love to highlight the gorgeous stone fruit and berries that fill up the grocery and farmers markets. Inspired by the season, this bright and sweet Peach and Blueberry crisp is a joy to make and such a treat to eat. Topped with an aromatic mixture of pecans, oats and cinnamon then served with vanilla ice cream, this summery peach crisp recipe ticks all the boxes.
How to Make a Crisp
A crisp is actually a very humble dessert but often times the easiest desserts to make wow me the most. A crisp is simply a mixture of fruit topped with a crispy crunchy topping, hence the name “Crisp”. The stars of this crisp are obviously the peaches and blueberries. This is such a winning combination as the peaches are sweet and slightly perfumey and the berries are tart and juicy. While this is my favorite combination of fruit, feel free to get creative and use what is in season near you. To make the filling I toss the sliced peaches and berries with cornstarch, sugar and vanilla. This creates a thick juicy sauce after baking. Next I mix up the crisp topping.
How to Make an Oatmeal Crisp Topping
This classic crisp topping adds loads of texture, crunch and warm totally flavor. Made of rolled oats, sugar, warm cinnamon, rich butter and crunchy pecans you can imagine how irresistible the crunchy edges of this topping are. After dividing the fruit mixture among 4 Good Cook Oven Safe 5 1/2 inch pie dishes, I top each one with a healthy dose of this crisp topping. The flavors are so well paired, pecans, peaches and berries really are best friends. That said, use any nuts you have around. This is more of a method than a recipe. After you make this once I promise you’ll be making all kind of variations all summer long.
The Perfect Single Serve Summer Desserts
After these bake, the peaches are soft and the berries burst making for the sweetest molten fruity filling. The crisp topping is golden brown and full of nutty flavor. While you can make this in one large dish I love to serve it in individual pie dishes. Using my GoodCook Smart Scoop Ice Cream Scoop, I top each crisp with vanilla ice cream and serve immediately. The ice cream melts into the hot crisp, making each bite a bit of creamy fruity crunchy heaven. Enjoy!
Watch The Recipe Video!
Peach and Blueberry Crisp
Peach and Blueberry Filling
- 4 cups (20oz/568g) peaches , peeled and sliced
- 1 cup (5oz/142g) blueberries
- ½ cup (4oz/115g) sugar
- 2½ Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ vanilla pod , optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
Making the peach and blueberry filling
- In a medium bowl mix together peaches, blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla extract (and seeds from the vanilla pod) until well coated. Set aside.
Making the Crisp Topping
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and pecan.
- Using your fingertips or a dough cutter, rub in butter into the dry ingredients until it starts to come together and is in pea-sized lumps.
- Divide the fruit filling between 4 Good Cook Oven Safe 5 1/2 inch pie dishes. Alternatively you can use one large dish to make a larger crisp.
- Sprinkle the crisp topping over each dish. Be generous, this is not a time to hold back.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes or until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Let cool on for 15 minutes, then scoop a big ball of vanilla ice cream using a GoodCook Smart Scoop Ice Cream Scoop! Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
This recipe will make 1 large crisp to feed 8 people.
If you have any crisp topping left over, label it and freeze it in a zip locked bag for up to 8 weeks.