Hi Bold Bakers!
Spring is here again which is the perfect time for carrot cake. We all know how to make regular carrot cake so why not mix it up a little and make Carrot Cake Donuts! And you won’t believe how good they are baked instead of fried.
These donuts are not only incredibly moist but they are the perfect size for a serving. It is Springtime however so if you wanted to double down on them no one would know.
Baked donuts are better than fried because I find you get so many variations. Previously I made Baked Chocolate Donuts and they were out of this world good. Plus, I even made No-Knead Baked Donuts that I think rival any fried one you’ll find.
Now if you don’t have one of those pans for baking donuts then fear not! With all of my recipes I would never ask you to go buy anything that was out of the ordinary, which I think a donut pan is. I don’t like equipment in my kitchen that has only one use. I don’t have space for that.
The solution I came up with was simply make my own tin with some foil and a cupcake tin. You can see a video here on How to Make Your Own Donut Pan.
So when you want a lovely sweet Donut that’s not fried, I hope you enjoy my Carrot Cake Donuts!
- ⅓ cup (3floz/90ml) milk
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons (1½oz/ 45g) butter, melted
- 1 cup (5oz/150g) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- ¼ cup (2oz/60g) sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup (3oz/90g) carrots, freshly grated (about 2 carrots)
- 4 tablespoons (2oz/60g) butter
- ¼ cup (2 oz/60g) cream cheese, room temperature
- ¾ cup (3oz/90g) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup (3oz/90g) finely shredded unsweetened coconut, toasted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl whisk together the milk, vinager, cooled melted butter, honey, sugar, egg and vanilla.
- Once all of the wet ingredients are combined add in the grated carrot.
- Next add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg and salt.
- Grease a donut pan (or make your own) then fill a piping bag or plastic bag with the tip snipped off with the carrot cake batter.
- Pipe the batter evenly into the pan, filling each about ⅔ of the way full.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool for 1 minute before turning out the pan to remove donuts. Place donuts on a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile prepare the glaze. In a microwavable bowl, melt the butter.
- Whisk in the cream cheese until it is almost smooth. Sift the powdered sugar into the bowl, add in the vanilla extract and stir until you have a smooth glossy frosting. Set aside.
- Toast the coconut over low heat in a skillet until lightly browned then set aside
- Once donuts have cooled completely (about 15-20 minutes) dunk each donut in the frosting, then turn in a circle to ensure half the donut is liberally frosted.
- Place on a cooling rack and sprinkle with toasted coconut
- If storing leftovers, lightly cover if at all.
SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE
2 ImagesSubmit Your Photos
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.