This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
When vacationing with my family in Florida when I was a kid we visited a magical food emporium known as “Red Lobster.” Why magical, you might ask? Because they served little buttery fluffy pillows of heaven called Cheddar Bay Biscuits. I’m not sure where Cheddar Bay is but I want to live there.
These Cheddar Bay Biscuits are exactly like Red Lobster’s biscuits. They are flakey, coated in garlic butter and oh so soft.
I cam across this recipe on Pinterest. It’s from a wonderful blog, Portuguese Girl Cooks. She really nailed it with this recipe. Go check out her website, you will be hooked.
Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits
- 1 ½ cups (7 ½ oz/ 225g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups (7 ½ oz/ 225g) cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 sticks (6oz/170g) butter, softened and cubed
- 2 cups (4 oz/115g) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 ½ cups (12oz/360g) buttermilk
- Garlic Topping
- 1/2 stick (2oz/60g) butter
- 2 cloves garlic , finely minced or through garlic press
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 425oF (210oC). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Start out with the Butter Topping: In a small bowl, combine butter, minced garlic, garlic powder and parsley. Microwave until the butter melts, roughly 30 seconds. Set aside.
- To make the biscuits: In a large bowl, whisk both flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and garlic powder until combined. Add in the cubed butter and using your fingers, rub it into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add in the shredded cheese and mix to combine.
- Add in the buttermilk and mix until combined. mix until all of the dry mix is wet. You will notice this is a soft batter and not a dough.
- Using a 1/3 measuring spoon (large spoon), scoop the biscuit mixture onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake the biscuits for 10 minutes, and them remove and brush with butter mixture, and then bake for an additional 5 minutes until the tops are puffed and golden brown.
- Allow biscuits to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack. Serve at room temperature or while slightly warm.
- Storage: Can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 2 days.