Hi Bold Bakers!
It’s always such a treat to go to my local Indian restaurant and order a stack of warm naan. Naan is definitely something all of my friends and family love but have never tried to make at home, until now!
Naan is a lovely Indian style flat-bread that is made with yogurt, rolled out to a thin oval or round shape and popped on a hot grill or in a clay oven to crisp and bubble up. Before grilling, naan can be brushed with oil or butter and topped with all kinds of seasonings and herbs, it is seriously yummy!
Remember the Crazy Dough Recipe I shared with you? It is one simple yeast dough from which you can get a variety of completely different breads, from homemade pizza dough, cinnamon rolls and even a cheesy bread loaf. All you need is one easy, Crazy Dough Master Recipe.
This dough is a classic bread dough made from flour, water and yeast, but with the addition of a few extra things this dough is super flavorful and extra moist. Because this dough includes rich yogurt I knew it could easily be transformed into a delicious Naan.
All you have to do is divide my basic Crazy Dough Recipe into a few small balls and roll them out with a rolling pin (or wine bottle if you don’t have a rolling pin!). Heat up your favorite grill pan or large saute pan and pop it in the hot pan for just 3 minutes per side. Make sure to cover your Naan with a metal bowl or cake tin to let the steam do the work creating lovely bubbles in your Naan. This dough cooks up into the most amazing naan bread, crispy and chewy no different that any other naan recipe. I love to keep naan in the freezer to dip in all kinds of things or serve alongside my favorite curried dished and homemade tagines!
- 1 batch Crazy Dough recipe
- ¼ cup (2oz/60g) butter, softened
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup (2oz/60g) chopped fresh cilantro
- sea salt for sprinkling
- In a small bowl combine the softened butter, mince garlic and chopped cilantro then set aside.
- Divide the Crazy Dough into 8 balls.
- Roll one of the balls of dough out into an 8" x 8" oval shape about ⅛th of an inch thick. Cover remaining balls of dough while working with a tea towel.
- Heat up a stove top grill or large heavy bottomed saute pan on medium high heat.
- Brush the naan dough with the garlic & cilantro butter and carefully place directly on your pan. Quickly cover with a large heat proof bowl. This will allow the dough to steam creating those signature air bubbles.
- After 3 minutes carefully remove the bowl and turn one the naan with a tongs.
- Cook on the other side for an additional 3 minutes. When naan is done it should golden, spotted and bubbly in texture.
- Set the finished naan aside and repeat the process with the additional balls of crazy dough until all are cooked. Keep them stacked under a clean tea towel and you cook them off.
- Serve warm!
SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE
13 ImagesSubmit Your Photos
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.