This unique dough starts with the basics: flour, water, yeast and sugar. But it gets a texture and flavor boost from a few eggs and rich creamy yogurt. And like many of my doughs you do not need to mix this dough on a machine, you simply mix it by hand and let it ferment.
With this seriously crazy dough base you can add sweet or savory toppings and stuffings. You can roll, twist and bake this into a variety of shapes, allowing you to successfully experiment with all kinds of different bread based baked goods. I’ve created an amazing series of 8 different recipes around this one dough that I will release over the next 8 weeks. You will be blown away by how easy this is to make and how versatile it really is. My favorite thing to do is whip up this master recipe and keep it in the fridge all week long to be turned into whatever my friends and family are craving that day. No special machine needed, and messy kneading. Give this a try and you will see why this is called Crazy Dough.
Get all of my Crazy Dough Bread Recipes:
- ½ cup ( 4floz/120ml) milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 3⅓ cup (16½ oz/500g) all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (6oz/180g) plain yogurt
- 1 whole egg*
- In a small jug stir together the lukewarm milk, sugar and yeast. Let stand for 15 minutes until yeast activates. It will become foamy and start expanding.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl combine the yogurt and the egg
- Once the yeast has activated add the yeast mixture and yogurt egg mixture to the dry ingredients. Using a fork stir everything together until it forms a loose, sticky dough.
- If the dough is too dry, add a little bit of milk or water. If it is too soft, add just a little bit of flour.
- Once all the ingredients are combined gently knead/ fold the dough together until it forms a rough ball.
- Cover the dough tightly with cling wrap and a tea towel and place in a warm spot to proof for 2 hours.
- Once the dough has risen it should be about double in size. From here you can take this crazy all purpose dough and make it into any of the following things!
- Cheesy loaf, pizza, naan bread, savory stuffed roll, classic cinnamon rolls, pretzels, jalapeno and cheese stuffed dinner rolls, and braided Nutella loaf.
- Keep it in your fridge for up to 4 days. You can freeze it, too.
SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE
21 ImagesSubmit Your Photos
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.