This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
By now you might know that one of my favorite ways to make bold baking accessible is by creating recipes that allow you to be creative and make my recipes your own. My favorite way to do this is through my “Crazy” Series. From Crazy Cookie Dough to Crazy Bread Dough, I share with you one master recipe that can be transformed into all of your favorite flavors. This Crazy Buttercream Frosting recipe is the “icing on the cake” (haha) to my crazy series.
Imagine a fool-proof recipe for the most decadent buttercream. The master recipe for my Crazy Frosting is just that. This creamy base unlocks all the secrets to smooth and creamy buttercream frosting. Light as air yet beyond rich, my buttercream frosting is the perfect consistency for icing a 3 Layer Neapolitan Cake or topping off your favorite variations of Crazy Cupcakes.
How to Make Buttercream Frosting
The secret ingredient in this buttercream frosting is time. Most people whip their butter for a few minutes then start adding in sugar and expect a light and airy result, but it’s never achieved. This frosting recipe takes its literal sweet time to really incorporate as much air as possible into the butter. This means allowing it your butter to whip to perfection for a full 7-8 minutes. Only then do I add in sifted powdered sugar one spoon-full at a time. While this takes a bit of patience, it is SO worth the wait – this method will give you the best buttercream frosting.
The best part of my Crazy Frosting is that it’s completely versatile! I’ve included all the mix-ins I add to my buttercream frosting recipe – from classic vanilla to peanut butter, chocolate, strawberry and more. All seven of these crazy frosting flavors are next-level, allowing you to create all kinds of lovely flavor combinations. My Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake is a perfect example! I know you guys will love all of these flavors. I encourage you to also experiment and make up your own crazy frostings. After all – that’s what Bold Baking is all about!
Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting
Not just a popular ice cream flavor, this frosting is the topping for a rich chocolate cake.
Spring has sprung! Spread this frosting over a vanilla cake for your Easter celebration or anytime inspiration strikes.
Peanut Butter Frosting
Peanut Butter and jelly are not the only flavors that go well together! Peanut Butter Frosting spread over a chocolate cake is guaranteed to be a fan favorite.
The hint of coffee in this frosting will compliment and enhance any cake it is piped on.
Chocolate Fudge Frosting
This Fudge Frosting is not only rich but fluffy and light at the same time. Pipe this chocolate buttercream frosting on top of a chocolate cake for ultimate decadence.
Although summer is short, keep the season going with this sweet Strawberry Frosting spread onto cakes and cupcakes.
Get more of my one-base Crazy Recipes including Crazy Cookie Dough, Crazy Cupcakes, Crazy Bread Dough and more!
Watch The Recipe Video!
Crazy Frosting Recipe
- 1½ cups (340g/12oz) butter, at room temperature
- 5⅔ cups (680g/1lb 8oz) confectioners' sugar, sifted*
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons milk or cream
- pinch of salt
- Add Ins:
- 1/2 cup (21/2oz/75g) fresh or frozen strawberries, pureed and strained
- 1 1/3 cups (51/3oz/160g) cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso dissolved in 2 tablespoons of water
Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting:
- 3 teaspoons mint extract
- 1/2 cup (3oz/90g) chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 drop green food coloring (optional)
Peanut butter Frosting:
- 3/4 cup (6oz/180g) smooth peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract , total for the batch.
- Zest of 2 lemons
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or using an electric hand mixer whip the butter until light and creamy for about 7-8 minutes on medium/high speed.
- Once the butter is pale in color and light slowly add in the sifted confectioners' sugar one spoon at a time on medium speed. Let the sugar fully incorporate before adding in more sugar.
- Add the vanilla extract, salt and milk or cream.
- Whip on high speed for another 3-4 minutes until very light, creamy, and fluffy.
- Add in the flavorings of your choice to create your desired flavor.