This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
I don’t know about you but I absolutely love cookies! Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies, hearty Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, rich Peanut Butter Cookies, and gooey Salted Caramel Cookies… the combinations are endless! Since there are so many mouthwatering flavors I decided to create one Crazy Cookie Dough to fulfill all of those homemade cookie cravings!
Similar to my idea for Crazy Dough, which was one bread dough that can be made into so many different sweet and savory breads, I’ve created one truly Crazy Cookie Dough for countless crazy cookie recipes!
This dough is the absolute perfect blank canvas for all of your favorite cookie flavors and cookie ideas. It has the perfect balance of brown sugar, white sugar, melted butter, and salt. The result is wonderfully decadent bakery-style cookies that are crispy around the edges, buttery, and chewy gooey in the center, and rival Pillsbury cookie dough.
There is just nothing like a homemade, fresh out of the oven cookie. I can’t wait for you all to give the recipe a spin and make these easy cookie recipes on your own. From the smell that fills the house to that warm and fuzzy comfort I get from knowing I have a full cookie jar, there is just nothing like it. Let’s face it what day can’t be improved by a truly delicious cookie?
What You’ll Need To Make Crazy Cookie Dough
- Large bowls
- Cookie sheet and parchment paper
- Measuring cups
How To Make Crazy Cookie Dough
Making Crazy Cookie Dough couldn’t be easier — it’s a dough that’s a blank slate, and then you add all of your mix-ins. Seriously, this is how you make it (and don’t forget to get the full recipe, with measurements, down below):
- Add melted butter, both sugars, raw eggs, and vanilla extract into a large bowl and whisk.
- In a separate bowl, mix the raw flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients with the wet and stir with a spatula.
- Chill the dough for two hours.
- Scoop the cookie dough into 14 cookies.
- Add your mix-ins.
- Shape the cookies back into balls and place them on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake until brown around the edges, with the center soft and chewy. Enjoy with milk or ice cream.
Why Do You Need To Chill Your Crazy Cookie Dough?
After the dough has come together and you have folded in your add-ins, pop the cookies in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes. This allows the flavors of the cookie to marry and develop, prevents the cookies from spreading, and creates a crisp outer edge and chewy soft center.
How To Make Chocolate Chip Cookies
My advice for making the BEST-EVER Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe is to use chunks of dark chocolate with a cocoa solid percentage of at least 72% to give you that perfect bittersweet richness for your chocolate chip cookie dough.
How To Make Peanut Butter Cookies
Use your favorite peanut butter, smooth or chunky, to mix into your Crazy Cookie Dough. For extra crunch toss in a few salted, roasted peanuts too.
How To Make Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Using ingredients that you would normally have on hand, toss in some rolled oats and raisins to your Crazy Cookie Dough.
What Is A Birthday Cake Cookie?
To create a Birthday Cake Cookie add some of your favorite sprinkles and white chocolate chips into your Crazy Cookie Dough.
How To Make A Chocolate & Hazelnut Cookie
Stir some Nutella into my Crazy Cookie Dough, toss in some toasted hazelnuts for good measure, and BOOM! You have a Chocolate & Hazelnut Cookie.
How To Make Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
Add some cocoa powder and dark chopped chocolate chunks into your Crazy Cookie Dough and enjoy the best cookie you have ever eaten!
What To Put In A S’more Cookie
A S’mores Cookie is made up of everything you’d put in a s’more: marshmallows, chocolate and Graham Crackers. Stir all of those bad boys into my Crazy Cookie Dough and you have an instant family favorite.
How To Make A Salted Caramel Cookie
To make an extra gooey, chewy cookie that has a salty kick add in some chopped caramels into my Crazy Cookie Dough, top with a pinch of sea salt.
Can You Freeze Cookie Dough?
One of my favorite make-ahead tricks is to pre-scoop and freeze raw cookie dough. After the dough has been mixed up, I scoop the entire batch into heaped tablespoons and place them on a baking tray. From there, you can cover the cookies in cling wrap and freeze them for up to 1 month.
How Long Does Cookie Dough Last In The Fridge?
Once you’ve taken out the cookie dough from the freezer, you can defrost it in the fridge before baking for 2 to 4 days, because that’s how long refrigerated cookie dough lasts.
How To Store Your Cookies
After the cookies have fully cooled I transfer them to an airtight container or use plastic wrap and store them at room temperature for 3-4 days.
Get more Crazy Recipes!
And don’t forget to buy my Bigger Bolder Baking Cookbook!
Watch The Recipe Video!
Crazy Cookie Dough: One Cookie Recipe with Endless Flavor Variations!
Crazy Cookie Dough Base Recipe
- 1 cup (8oz/225g) butter ( melted and cooled to room temperature)
- 1¼ cup (7 1/2 oz/213g) dark brown sugar
- ¾ cup (6oz/170g) white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2½ cups (12 1/2oz/355g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
Classic Chocolate Chip Cookie
- 1 generous tablespoon dark chocolate (rough chopped)
Oatmeal Raisin Cookie
- 2 heaped teaspoons rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon raisins
Double Chocolate Cookie
- 2 heaped teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 heaped teaspoon chocolate, (chopped)
Peanut Butter Cookie
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon peanuts, (chopped)
Chocolate Hazelnut Cookie
- 1 tablespoon Nutella or chocolate spread
- 1 tablespoon hazelnuts, (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon mini marshmallows
- 1 tablespoon graham crackers (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon chocolate (chopped)
Salted Caramel Cookie
- 4 caramel candies (chopped rough)
- 1 Pinch flaky sea salt
Birthday Cake Cookie
- 2 heaped teaspoons sprinkles
- 2 heaped teaspoons white chocolate chips
- In a large bowl add in the melted butter, both sugars, eggs, and vanilla extract and whisk together until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir with a spatula to form your cookie dough. IMPORTANT STEP: Now, chill the dough for a minimum of 2 hours before scooping to avoid the cookies from spreading while baking.
- Using a 1/4 cup measure, scoop the cookie dough base into roughly 14 cookies (weighing roughly 2 1/2 oz each)
Classic Chocolate Chip Cookie:
- Press your chocolate chunks into your base cookie and fold the cookie dough over itself to make sure the chocolate chunks are distributed throughout
Oatmeal Raisin Cookie:
- Using your hand make a well in the center of the dough. Add in the oatmeal and the raisins. Fold the cookie dough over itself to make sure the oatmeal and raisins are distributed throughout.
Double Chocolate Cookie:
- Using your hand make a well in the center of the dough. Add in the cocoa powder and chocolate chunks. Fold the cookie dough over itself to make sure the ad-ins are distributed throughout.
Peanut Butter Cookie:
- Using your hand make a well in the center of the dough. Add in the peanut butter and chopped peanuts. Fold the cookie dough over itself to make sure the peanut butter and peanuts are distributed throughout.
Chocolate Hazelnut Cookie:
- Using your hand make a well in the center of the dough. Add in the Nutella and chopped hazelnuts. Fold the cookie dough over itself to make sure the Nutella and nuts are distributed throughout.
- Using your hand make a well in the center of the dough. Add in the graham crackers, marshmallow, and chocolate. Fold the cookie dough over itself to make sure the s'more ad-ins are distributed throughout.
Salted Caramel Cookie:
- Using your hand make a well in the center of the dough. Add in the chopped caramels. Fold the cookie dough over itself to make sure the caramel candies are distributed throughout. Top with flakey sea salt.
Birthday Cake Cookie:
- Using your hand make a well in the center of the dough. Add in sprinkles and white chocolate chips. Fold the cookie dough over itself to make sure the sprinkles and chips are distributed throughout.
Baking your Crazy Cookie Dough:
- When ready to bake preheat the oven to 375ºF (185°C).
- Roughly shape the cookies back into balls of dough before placing the cookies on a large parchment-lined cookie sheet about 4 inches apart. TIP: Do Not Flatten the cookies! Leave them to bake as a rounded scoop of dough. This will ensure your cookies don't spread out too much.
- Bake for roughly 12 minutes or until you can still see it is doughy in the center but browning around the edge. Resist the urge to bake for longer as you will over bake it and lose that gooey center.
- Let cool on the sheet for 5 minutes then enjoy. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.