Hi Bold Bakers!
When it comes to baking, most of the time I stick to Bold visions of the classics and steer clear of novelty. That said when making no-bake sweet treats, candies and frozen desserts, I really like things that are over the top, fun and different! After coming across the internet sensation Thai Rolled Ice Cream in a local LA spot I was floored by how delicious and fun it was. For those of you who have never seen it before it is a MUST try. Rolled Ice Cream is ice cream that is spread thin on a really cold metal surface then scraped up into a perfect spiral. The result is a beautiful and fun way to enjoy rich ice cream–it’s no wonder this exotic treat is such a hit!
After seeing this Rolled Ice Cream being made I knew I had to give it a try for myself. This is not typically something you would make at home so I knew this would take some experimentation. But after just a few tries I had a plan and was able to make these perfect frozen sweet rolled ice creams at home. It turns out it’s really a lot simpler than you might think. I simply started with my classic No Machine Ice Cream recipe of sweetened condensed milk and cream. That’s right, the base of this Rolled Ice Cream is just 2 ingredients and even better than that these 2 ingredients are mixed up right on the baking tray they are frozen in. After mixing together on my cold tray, I got creative and added some of my favorite flavorings.
I created 3 delicious Rolled Ice Cream flavors, but once you have this recipe down I encourage you to get creative and experiment with whatever you like. Add a bit of Nutella and you have Nutella Rolled Ice Cream. If you like Strawberry Cheesecake you’ll love this as it’s just a matter of adding a few diced berries, crushed graham crackers and cream cheese. This bright pink Rolled Ice Cream is seriously impressive! Last but not least I made Cookies and Cream by adding in a few Oreo cookies. After just a quick mix of the Rolled Ice Cream base and each mix-in, I pop the tray in the freezer. What’s incredible is each flavor sets up super fast and from there they’re really easy to roll.
For each flavor I run a thin spatula between the thin layer of ice cream and the chilled tray. Before your eyes the magic happens! Little spirals of ice cream form. For each flavor I roll 4 to 6 rolls and place them in a portable serving container. After topping with additional whipped cream these Homemade Rolled Ice Creams are ready to steal the show. Your friends and family will be beyond impressed with this dessert; no one will believe you made this at home so easily!
Get more of my Homemade Ice Cream and Frozen Treat recipes!
- 1 cup (8floz / 240ml) cream
- ½ cup (5oz /150g) condensed milk
- Strawberry cheesecake
- 3 strawberries, diced
- 2 tablespoons crushed graham crackers
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- Nutella Rolled Ice cream
- 2 tablespoons
- Cookies and Cream Rolled Ice Cream
- 3 Oreo Cookies
- To make your rolled ice cream base add the cream and condensed milk to a large metal baking trey and mix to combine.
- For strawberry cheesecake: Using an offset spatula mix in the cream cheese, graham crackers and strawberries. Break up the chunks of each ingredient until the mixture is evenly combined.
- For cookies and cream: Using an offset spatula break up the Oreo cookies into small crumbs until evenly combined through out the ice cream base.
- For Nutella: Using an offset spatula mix the Nutella into the ice cream base until thoroughly combined and even in color.
- Once combined, place your trey of ice cream flat in the freezer and freeze sold for a minimum of 5 hours or preferably over night.
- when ready to serve remove your frozen trey from the freezer and place on a flat surface covered with a tea towel (this is to secure the trey when rolling).
- Work very very quickly as this ice cream can melt fast! Using your offset spatula, run your spatula under the ice cream carefully rolling it into itself to form a spiral shape. Repeat this 4 more times to serve 1.
- Still working quickly, using a tongs gently place your spirals of rolled ice cream into your serving container of choice.
- Top with additional whipped cream and corresponding toppings of your choice. Enjoy immediately!
SUBMIT YOUR OWN PHOTOS OF THIS RECIPE
1 ImagesSubmit Your Photos
Hi Bold Bakers! I’m Gemma Stafford, a professional chef originally from Ireland, and I’m passionate about sharing my years of experience to show you how to make game-changing baking recipes with over-the-top results! Join more than 1 Million other Bold Bakers in the community for new video recipes every week!
Have you made a recipe? Share photos on my website or across social media with the hashtag #boldbaker.
And don't miss my NEW Bold Baking recipes and tips. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter.