This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
Hi Bold Bakers!
We are in the throes of the baking season right now! I’m constantly trying to come up with easy recipes that are great for entertaining that can also be enjoyed all year round! Because Chocolate is always in season, I’m excited to bring you this recipe for show-stopping Unbelievable No Bake Hot Chocolate Pie using a Graham cookie crust, a chocolate truffle filling, and whipped marshmallowy meringue on top!
What Kind of Chocolate Do I Use for No-Bake Hot Chocolate Pie?
The star of the show here is chocolate! We are starting out with Ghirardelli’s 60% Bittersweet Chocolate Chips. The perfect balance of sweetness for this sophisticated dessert and using great quality chocolate here will make this dessert out of this world. I also fold in Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips — they add another hit of chocolate and nice texture to your pie!
Is No-Bake Hot Chocolate Pie Served Hot?
Although this pie has all the delicious elements of a ‘hot’ chocolate, it’s served at room temperature. To store the pie you keep it in the fridge but I strongly recommend taking the pies out in advance and allowing them to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. The chocolates flavors and texture is at it’s best when at room temperature.
What Kind of Pie Crust Should I Use?
This is where you can get creative! I used good old Graham crackers, however, you can use other kinds of biscuits as well. If you have a cookie you prefer to use as a base for your desserts then feel free to use them.
Do I Need a Topping For No Bake Hot Chocolate Pie?
If you want to forgo the meringue on top and replace it with whipped cream that is perfectly fine. However, the marshmallow meringue just adds to the experience. Here are a few options if you need a kitchen torch.
How do I Store It?
Store it in the fridge. Not to damage the meringue on top I actually leave them uncovered in the fridge. Before eating, take the pies out and allow to sit at room temperature for a least 30 minutes to take the chill off them. This will make for the best flavor and texture.
How Long Does It Last?
This no-bake pie lasts for up to 4 days in the fridge. These pies, unfortunately, can not be frozen.
Ghirardelli Makes Life a Bite Better, so stock up now!
Visit Ghirardelli for all your chocolate needs!
Watch The Recipe Video!
Unbelievable No-Bake Hot Chocolate Pie Recipe
- 2 1/3 cups (7oz/198g) Graham cracker crumbs*
- 1/2 cup (4oz/115g) butter, melted
Chocolate Truffle Filling
- 1 cup (6oz/170g) Ghirardelli 60% Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
- 2/3 cup (5floz/142ml) heavy whipping cream (35% Fat or higher)
- 1/4 cup (1.5oz/43g) Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
Marshmallow Meringue Topping
- 2 large egg whites (roughly 2oz/60g)
- 1/3 cup (2.5oz/71g) sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar*
- To Make the Cookie Crumb Crust: In a medium bowl, stir together the melted butter and the Graham cracker crumbs until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Press the crumb mixture over the bottom and up the sides of four 4 1/2” tart tins (about 1/2 cup each). Place in the fridge to set while you make the filling. Note: You could also make 1 large 9-inch pie with this recipe.
For the Chocolate Truffle filling:
- Put the Ghirardelli 60% Bittersweet Chocolate Chips in a medium heatproof bowl and gently melt in the microwave or over a bain-marie.
- Stir in the vanilla and salt into the chocolate. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Whip the cream until you have reached light, soft peaks.
- Fold a spoonful of the lightly whipped cream into the cooled chocolate mixture to loosen it. Gently fold in the remaining cream until fully incorporated, taking care not to overmix.
- Lastly, gently fold in Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips.
- Pour the chocolate truffle filling into prepared tins. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes to set while you make the meringue.
For the Meringue Topping:
- Place a heat-safe bowl on top of a simmering pot of water, but make sure the bowl is not touching the water.
- In the bowl add in the egg whites, sugar, and the cream of tartar.
- Continuously whisk the mixture until it is hot to the touch, about 2-3 minutes. Once the whites are heated through remove from the heat. (heating these eggs will ‘cook’ them and will make them safe to eat)
- Using a stand mixer or an electric hand mixer, whisk the egg mixture on medium-high speed for about 5 minutes OR until the meringue holds stiff peaks when lifted from the bowl.
- Pile or pipe the meringue high on top of your pies. If you have a kitchen torch, you can lightly toast the surface of the meringue by moving the flame continuously in small circles over the surface until the meringue is lightly browned. Also, you can quickly (and carefully) toast it under the grill/broiler but keep a very close eye on it.
- Serve straight away or store in the fridge for up to 4 days. Take them out to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before enjoying them.